New gun build, need finishing advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > New gun build, need finishing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New gun build, need finishing advice

I am building a mid to high end AK variant as an all around reliable and durable hunting and shtf firearm and am looking for a good finish in terms of durability and appearance. Parkerizing, Duracoat, Ceracote, Gunkote, melonite, Metaloy-any advice on the best quality and value?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You will get more response if you go to the Introduction section and tell us all a bit about yourself.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #3

Default Cerakote

My preference is to use Cerakote. The major difference is that the application process to apply this product. See the link below. The other significant difference is the chemical make up of Cerakote its like a powder coat not a paint. This chemical make up when baked on a gun(different types of metals) creates a chemical bond. This chemical bond is very strong and can withstand more abuse then even a factory bluing. Now before you can get this chemical bond you must start out with a bare unfinished metal. This is the most critical part of the application process. When you paint/coat over the factory bluing its like painting over rust. It is not permanent. This is why Cerakote is a better application for the permanent finish.

The Process
Also look at the gallery.
Please email at the listed email in my signature for any questions.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've used DuraCoat on several firearms that I've restored with great success.. The color options are almost limitless.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #5

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

You can't "restore" a gun with paint, unless it was originally a painted finish.
Metaloy, Metalife, or one of the other hard chrome finishes would be the most practical for a higher-end gun. HC is extremely durable. Melonite and other nitriding processes are prohibitively expensive on a single gun.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
P90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a metalife finish put on the aluminum frame of my Pistol, and really like it.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
You can't "restore" a gun with paint, unless it was originally a painted finish.
Metaloy, Metalife, or one of the other hard chrome finishes would be the most practical for a higher-end gun. HC is extremely durable. Melonite and other nitriding processes are prohibitively expensive on a single gun.
Perhaps I've should have quantified my response... I "restore" firearms from all time periods and makes and models... I apply the paint to firearms when asked for by the client.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

here is a duracaot job i am working on now,yugo sks.Not finished yet i had to make the folding stock into a locked out one due to broken part,s,note zebra stripe on rear ,this is a project still in working stage when i am finnished i will post finished job.First attempt at snow camo,i plan to hunt coyote,s with it in late winter snow.After shotgun season for deer.

014.jpg  

Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSellingInstructor View Post
My preference is to use Cerakote. The major difference is that the application process to apply this product. See the link below. The other significant difference is the chemical make up of Cerakote its like a powder coat not a paint. This chemical make up when baked on a gun(different types of metals) creates a chemical bond. This chemical bond is very strong and can withstand more abuse then even a factory bluing. Now before you can get this chemical bond you must start out with a bare unfinished metal. This is the most critical part of the application process. When you paint/coat over the factory bluing its like painting over rust. It is not permanent. This is why Cerakote is a better application for the permanent finish.

The Process
Also look at the gallery.
Please email at the listed email in my signature for any questions.
You can and it is recommend that you parkerize first and then use ceracoat, duracoat, or any other paint. The acid will roughs up the surface of the metal giving the coating you use more bite onto the metal.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Proper prep and any of the finishes mentioned under average use will last longer than you will own the firearm.

Faulty prep and all of them will disappoint and leave you forming misguided opinions on the product.

Obviously I'll put my vote in the DuraCoat bucket, but that is simply because it is what I have learned to apply and apply well. And the limitless color selection is a plus.