Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Need advice on refinishing a Mosin stock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Need advice on refinishing a Mosin stock.

I have a Mosin 91/30 that's in need of some refinishing. Stocks got basic wear, few scratches and some spots that are flaking off. I have no idea where to begin when it comes to wood work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8383 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Remove ALL metal parts from wood. Get a can of Formby's refinisher. Read directions. Be careful, stuff is more inflammable that an insulted redhead. This is not a stripper, but it disolves and sort of redistributes most finishes. After THOROUGHLY dry, decide if you want an oil finish, or shellac (not varnish, dammit, SHELLAC) which is what they used. If oil, get a bottle of Linspeed. Shellac, visit Home Depot.

daily trivia- Shellac is made from a resin secreted by the Lac insect, dissolved in alcohol.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Any sanding required?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger79 View Post
Any sanding required?
I'd try and keep sanding to a minimum certainly around any markings.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Kim

Default Mosin stock

I refinished one and had to re-do the whole thing because I didn't get all the cosmoline off. I first removed the stain and polyurethane I put on. I then hung the gun in front of the fireplace. It was amazing how much dripped out of the stock that I thought was cleaned. I then wrapped it in paper towels and put it in the oven at very low heat. Hours later I changed the paper towels and kept going until the towels came out dry. It took several iterations of heating and towel changes to get it out. When it was all out, the stock was very light colored so I had to stain it dark. I believe the stock was birch. The gun turned out BEAUTIFUL and shoots amazingly well. I love it. Good luck and be patient; it's worth the effort! Kim