Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   My first attempt at polishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/my-first-attempt-polishing-41262/)

truevil1313 04-14-2011 03:25 PM

My first attempt at polishing

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first attempt at pollishing stainless. This is about six hours into it. I put them side by side so the difference is more noticeable. What do you think?

dog2000tj 04-14-2011 03:34 PM

Good work, it looks nice :) Are you planning on doing the other one?

How about some details - materials, methods?

KennyFSU 04-14-2011 04:43 PM

Wow nice job! I'd definitely like to see some details on how that was accomplished.

Overkill0084 04-14-2011 05:08 PM

Tools reqd? Techniques? Things to not do?

truevil1313 04-15-2011 12:52 PM

I went to Northern Tool and Equipment and bought their $69 bench top buffer. I went to Lowes home improvment store and bought three types of compounds. Grey compond to remove the scratches from the brushed stainless, brown compound (tripoli) to remove the finer scratches and start the buffing, and a green compound that shines it up.
The process is easy, just dirty and time consuming. I read quite a bit online about polishing stainless before I started.
I removed the grip from the pistol, turned on the buffer, charged it with the first compound, and started going at it. It took a while for me to figure out the right amount of pressure to apply, but once I did, it started working just as it should. It is important to remember to charge the buffing wheel every 30 seconds with just a little compound. Change the wheels with each compound, and know how much pressure to apply. It was not hard, but again I will say it was very dirty. Stuff from the wheels was flying everywhere!
I did this for 3 hours a night, for 2 nights, and got this far with it. I would like to do a little more to it, when I get some more time.
I will not be doing the other one, it's not mine, it belongs to my best friend who is out of state right now. Thanks for the comments.
I would say the most important thing to do first, is research polishing first online, then just get started. I have a grand total of $89 and six hours into this project, and I am pleased with the outcome.

hogrider 04-15-2011 02:28 PM

How did you keep from buffing the front site or did you just re-blue it?

Jesse17 04-15-2011 02:36 PM

Looks awesome, way better than the other one. You should do the one in the bottom of the pic too. :p

Seriously, looks great.

truevil1313 04-15-2011 02:48 PM

I did buff the front sight a little, but not all of the way. I was thinking about going back and doing something to it.

IGETEVEN 04-15-2011 09:51 PM

Now that's a damn shiny pistol there! :eek:

Looks great! :D

I wish I was as motivated to do mine. :(

truevil1313 04-16-2011 12:21 AM

Thanks everyone.