Mossberg Model 500 Tactical Refinish
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Mossberg Model 500 Tactical Refinish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Mossberg Model 500 Tactical Refinish

I've decided that I want to refinish my Mossberg 500. I don't care for what ever kind of finish they used at the factory, because it is pretty easy to scratch and is kind of coarse (I don't know if it is supposed to be, I just know it is).
I want to put something much more durable on, but I've never done anything like this, so I'm at a loss.
I have heard a ton of good things and bad things about Cerakote, and Duracote. I have also heard a few good things about Brownell's Aluma-Hide II. Basically, all I want is a finish that is easy to do, cheap, and durable.
I'm probably going to go with satin black for the reciever and barrel, and I'm thinking about maybe doing the stock in dark earth so that it will match my AR when it's done.
Any suggestions?

Also, What would I have to do to the gun itself? Could I just put the new finish over the old, or would I have to get it down to bare metal?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

bump....

Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I think you should trade it for cash and buy an 870

As far as i know (not far ). You dont need to remove the old finish, just start on the new on. I have heard good things about duracoat, never used it myself.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfacenelson View Post
I think you should trade it for cash and buy an 870

As far as i know (not far ). You dont need to remove the old finish, just start on the new on. I have heard good things about duracoat, never used it myself.
I happen to like that Mossberg. I also happen to like 870s too, but the Mossberg stays.

If I don't have to remove the finish, that would be a huge help.

Random question. I looked at both Cerakote's, and Duracotes websites and looked that their Magpul Dark Earth finishes. Why do they look so much darker than actual Magpul Dark Earth furniture?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Aaand you went to far.
Cant help ya there.

If i had to guess it is probably just made from different chemicals and whatnot than actual magpuls, to avoid law suets and such.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfacenelson View Post
Aaand you went to far.
Cant help ya there.

If i had to guess it is probably just made from different chemicals and whatnot than actual magpuls, to avoid law suets and such.
I can see how the chemical thing could be true, but both products actually have Magpul in their name, so I don't think they are worried about lawsuits (they probably have some deal with Magpul).

Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

I've worked plenty with duracoat before. And by the way your Mossy is a great gun.

Duracoat loves porous surfaces to grab on to. But it also loves bare metal. Putting it on the old finish will make it wear off super fast. There is a million ways to get your old finish off, from sandblasting to high grit sand paper To brake cleaner. All great choices. Spray it. The longer it cures the better. Literally a month of not touching it is best.

From there you'll be in great shape and glad you did it. Money very well spent. Get one of the duracoat shake and spray kits by the way

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenGunsmith86 View Post
I've worked plenty with duracoat before. And by the way your Mossy is a great gun.

Duracoat loves porous surfaces to grab on to. But it also loves bare metal. Putting it on the old finish will make it wear off super fast. There is a million ways to get your old finish off, from sandblasting to high grit sand paper To brake cleaner. All great choices. Spray it. The longer it cures the better. Literally a month of not touching it is best.

From there you'll be in great shape and glad you did it. Money very well spent. Get one of the duracoat shake and spray kits by the way
Thanks for the info. I have a cheap sandblaster form Tractor Supply, and I'm not really sure that would do a good job. What kind of place could I look for that could sand blast it for me, and what kind of sandblasting should they do?

By hgh grit sandpaper, are you talking about like 320 grit, or more like in the 1000s?

If I do the break cleaner option, do I just soak the parts in it? How long does that take? Is there anything I should worry about if I do this?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

If you can't think of a place off hand by you that has a blaster and cabinet then I wouldn't pay anybody. The two best things of doing it yourself is #1 the fun and experience of it and #2 the cost savings. So my next choice would be the brake cleaner or carb cleaner with quad odd steel wool.

Or lastly you can take your parts and soak them in white vinegar. It's cheap and it loosens it up. That though usually works best for blueing.

Oh yeah also stuff called naval jelly will work as well to take it off.

I'd go with the carb cleaner or brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool. Just do not whatever you do get it on anything plastic or wood. It will melt or stain. Skip the sand paper only use it as last resort. 1000 grit or higher. You can find those types at autozone. Rememember remove the finish not the metal. Good luck let me know what you do and how it goes.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenGunsmith86 View Post
If you can't think of a place off hand by you that has a blaster and cabinet then I wouldn't pay anybody. The two best things of doing it yourself is #1 the fun and experience of it and #2 the cost savings. So my next choice would be the brake cleaner or carb cleaner with quad odd steel wool.

Or lastly you can take your parts and soak them in white vinegar. It's cheap and it loosens it up. That though usually works best for blueing.

Oh yeah also stuff called naval jelly will work as well to take it off.

I'd go with the carb cleaner or brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool. Just do not whatever you do get it on anything plastic or wood. It will melt or stain. Skip the sand paper only use it as last resort. 1000 grit or higher. You can find those types at autozone. Rememember remove the finish not the metal. Good luck let me know what you do and how it goes.
Thanks, I'll post pics of it when I finish it.