milling machine...? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > milling machine...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm still waiting for the OP to respond from nearly 2 months ago. Should that happen, I'll throw my $.02 in.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #12

ive been machining for a few years and my father has been doing it as a career for 30 years. in order to be good enought to create something such as a firearm it takes quite a bit of skill and some talent that cannot be taught.

id also make sure you can legally make firearms in your area.

if you do decide to go through with this plan id get quality equipment, such as a bridgeport mill( the original designer and maker of milling machines). and you may also need a lathe if you plan to make barrels. and metal presses( for bending sheet metal and plate metal). also possible some sort of cutting torch. either oxy-acetylene or plasma arc would do the job along with a good quality bench grinder.

basically what im saying is youll probably have to drop more than 10k in just equipment, then add some training to that its a pretty expensive hobby.

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

"There's no question that weapons in the hands of the public have prevented acts of terror or stopped them."
- Israeli Police Inspector General Shlomo Aharonisky

Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #13

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

In most trades it takes an apprenticeship of about four years, at 40 hours a week, to become a skilled tradesman. I have worked with tools for 40 years and I wouldn't buy a milling machine and expect to crank out parts with tolerances around three decimal points necessary for firearms.

What I would like to pick up for a few bucks would be a CNC machine. While it still takes a lot of skill to operate them, I think some majic is also involved.

Carl Sagan