Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   marlin model 60 makeover! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/marlin-model-60-makeover-49366/)

Axxe55 10-06-2011 03:54 AM

marlin model 60 makeover!

well i picked up a well used, but functioning perfectly marlin model 60 today for, $80! shoots great with open sights. needs some tlc bad! i going to clean it up and refinish the stock and use some cold blue on the metal surfaces. i will post some before pictures to show how it started out and then some after pictures to show what a little time and not a lot of money can accomplish. keep y'all posted!

762 10-06-2011 11:38 AM

do you have any feeding problems? my brother moved to new orleans and left his in my gun safe. all i've done is refinish the stock so far.

chip102 10-06-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 594753)
well i picked up a well used, but functioning perfectly marlin model 60 today for, $80! shoots great with open sights. needs some tlc bad! i going to clean it up and refinish the stock and use some cold blue on the metal surfaces. i will post some before pictures to show how it started out and then some after pictures to show what a little time and not a lot of money can accomplish. keep y'all posted!

Same thing just happened to me about a month ago, local shop had a model 60 for 70 buck..it was cosmetically a POS, but it worked like new and shot on top of each other every time at 50 yards. I plan on over the winter doing a full stock and blue strip and redoing the whole thing with a darker finish on the wood and I am either going to polish the steel or give it a hot bluing salt bath.

Is yours the older model with the 18 round tube, or the new one with the short tube?

I found that the CCL Standard velocity 22LR 40 grain target ammo works great in it. No cycle issues, not a single dud in the entire box of 500 either, and its affordable (but what .22 ammo isn't :P)

I will post a thread with my project when I get home in Dec. for winter break along side my custom Mosin thread.

Good luck with the refinish, let me know if you have any advice as you proceed.

Axxe55 10-06-2011 09:32 PM

762, i shot about forty rounds through it when i got home at about 50 yrds and seemed to hit pretty close to where i was aiming(iron sights and i can't see as well as i use to!) no feeding or ejection problems. then i proceeded to tear it down.

chip, mine looks to be an older one, and i think it holds 18. i only put about 15 in the tube.

i will post some pictures later tonight.

Axxe55 10-07-2011 06:45 AM

marlin 60 before

4 Attachment(s)
some before pictures of the stock and metal.

Axxe55 10-07-2011 10:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here are some after pictures. cleaned and steel wooled the barrel of rust, cleaned again and painted the barrel and receiver with Krylon flat black camo paint. stripped the stock of old finish, sanded smooth with 150 and 220 grit sandpaper, used some dark red mahogany stain, buffed out with Johnsons paste wax and steel wool. removed the iron sights, cleaned and repainted the buttplate. ordered some rings to mount a Simmons 3-9x40 i had stashed back waiting on something to put it on.

TheOldMan 10-07-2011 12:02 PM

Nice work on the stock .. Afraid you'll be disappointed with your choice of painting the metal with Krylon though. A better choice would have been DuraCoat which is actually made for gun metal. I think you can get a "kit" for around 30 bucks at Midway or Brownells.

Still over all a nice look.

762 10-07-2011 01:02 PM

nice work axe. the stock looks exactly like mine. i think i used a cherry stain. i dont remember. i'll probably work on it some more this winter. i'm thinking of sanding down the barrel and duracoating it some sort of brown or tan maybe? i dont know, i cant decided. i may just do a flat black. i HATE bluing. lol

unclebear 10-08-2011 08:36 AM

Looks brand new, you did a great job.

Axxe55 10-08-2011 09:51 AM

thanks everyone. chip102, it has the 18 round tube so it is the older model. 762, shot it again after putting it back together, worked great. i took the sights off and have a couple of extra scopes, so i ordered some rings last night and will mount the scope when they come in. it's just a 3-9x40 Simmons, but should be fine for this gun. i'll sight it in at 50 yrds and it will be good to go. when i'm finished, i'll still be under $100 on the whole gun.