Marlin 30AS .30-30 Refinish Project
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Marlin 30AS .30-30 Refinish Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin 30AS .30-30 Refinish Project

I recently acquired a Marlin 30AS in a trade. My first thought was to junk it, but decided it might make a good winter project refinishing it.

I’m sure I’ll end up with more in it than it is worth, but it will give me something else to do.

My first problem are the stock and forearm. Someone did a very ugly refinish job on them in the past. I’m not sure they could be stripped and refinished. I’ve been looking around the Internet for a new stock and forearm, but haven’t had any luck. This Marlin has the forearm with the cap on front instead of the band. If anyone can suggest places to contact it would be appreciated.

I’m also open to any suggestions on re-bluing or other methods to refinish the metal.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Try some paint stripper on the wood before you scrap it. You've got nothing to lose.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Over the years I have refinished ten or fifteen long guns. I just finished a Western Field Deluxe 12 gauge pump that was a basket case. For the stocks I always use a product called Zip Strip that hasn’t failed me yet. Birchwood Casey puts out a bluing kit that I used for the first time on the pump and it did a real good job. Don’t be afraid to use emery cloth and elbow grease on the rust spots and minor pitting. Even some of the deeper pitting can be cleared up. Just go slow and take your time. When you are done you will have a gun that you will be proud of and start looking for another project.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #4

After posting last night I took a real close look at the stocks. Whoever refinished them the last time must have used a belt sander. They may be usuable, but I wouldn't want them on my gun. So much wood was taken off, they really don't match up to the receiver, etc.

While most of the bluing is gone, the metal isn't that bad with the exception of some of the screws. I think people must use butter knives or something to work on their guns. I was able to find the screws I need last night on the Internet.

I picked up a Birchwood Casey bluing kit today. I'll try my hand at bluing some small pieces tomorrow.

Still if anyone has a source for new stocks, please let me know.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a place that should be able to help you.
Marlin Gun Parts, Marlin Factrory Gun Parts.Marlin Lever Action gun Parts, Marlin 22 Automatic Parts, Marlin Bolt Action 22 Parts, Marlin Gun Stocks, Marlin Walnut Gun Stocks, Marlin Rifle Sights, Marlin Sight Hoods, Marlin Screws, Marlin Firearms Pa

Old 12-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #6

Does anyone know if a Marlin 39A stock is interchangable with a 30AS? In research it seems like it should, but I'd like someone else's opinion before I "pull the trigger" so to speak.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #7

Default Marlin Re-blue

Try blueridgebluing.com