Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Marlin 30AS .30-30 Refinish Project (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/marlin-30as-30-30-refinish-project-20511/)

N55340 11-28-2009 04:59 AM

Marlin 30AS .30-30 Refinish Project

I recently acquired a Marlin 30AS in a trade. My first thought was to junk it, but decided it might make a good winter project refinishing it.

Iím sure Iíll end up with more in it than it is worth, but it will give me something else to do.

My first problem are the stock and forearm. Someone did a very ugly refinish job on them in the past. Iím not sure they could be stripped and refinished. Iíve been looking around the Internet for a new stock and forearm, but havenít had any luck. This Marlin has the forearm with the cap on front instead of the band. If anyone can suggest places to contact it would be appreciated.

Iím also open to any suggestions on re-bluing or other methods to refinish the metal.

CA357 11-28-2009 05:20 PM

Try some paint stripper on the wood before you scrap it. You've got nothing to lose. ;)

Walley 11-28-2009 08:22 PM

Over the years I have refinished ten or fifteen long guns. I just finished a Western Field Deluxe 12 gauge pump that was a basket case. For the stocks I always use a product called Zip Strip that hasnít failed me yet. Birchwood Casey puts out a bluing kit that I used for the first time on the pump and it did a real good job. Donít be afraid to use emery cloth and elbow grease on the rust spots and minor pitting. Even some of the deeper pitting can be cleared up. Just go slow and take your time. When you are done you will have a gun that you will be proud of and start looking for another project.

N55340 11-28-2009 10:38 PM

After posting last night I took a real close look at the stocks. Whoever refinished them the last time must have used a belt sander. They may be usuable, but I wouldn't want them on my gun. So much wood was taken off, they really don't match up to the receiver, etc.

While most of the bluing is gone, the metal isn't that bad with the exception of some of the screws. I think people must use butter knives or something to work on their guns. I was able to find the screws I need last night on the Internet.

I picked up a Birchwood Casey bluing kit today. I'll try my hand at bluing some small pieces tomorrow.

Still if anyone has a source for new stocks, please let me know.

Walley 11-28-2009 10:52 PM

Here is a place that should be able to help you.
Marlin Gun Parts, Marlin Factrory Gun Parts.Marlin Lever Action gun Parts, Marlin 22 Automatic Parts, Marlin Bolt Action 22 Parts, Marlin Gun Stocks, Marlin Walnut Gun Stocks, Marlin Rifle Sights, Marlin Sight Hoods, Marlin Screws, Marlin Firearms Pa

N55340 12-01-2009 12:38 AM

Does anyone know if a Marlin 39A stock is interchangable with a 30AS? In research it seems like it should, but I'd like someone else's opinion before I "pull the trigger" so to speak.

hotbluer 12-05-2009 09:46 PM

Marlin Re-blue

Try blueridgebluing.com