Marlin 30-30 refinish... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Marlin 30-30 refinish...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey marine. I am remodeling a marlin model 30 AS. I cannot get the barrel out. It should just unscrew correct. I have had it in a vise an cannot get it to budge. Is it a press in or locked. Please advise. Sholtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Good news! They are fine guns and I wouldn't trade mine for a Winchester. ( I've got two of those anyway)
Being an older gun yours no doubt has micro-groove rifling, which Marlin discontinued. This makes the older guns worth quite a bit more. With a small 4x20mm scope and the right handloads, I have produced 75 yd. targets with all 5 rounds touching. My Winchesters never came close to that level of accuracy. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

STOP! A bbl that "screws in" is a really tight fit. Unless you use the right tools, you will likely damage the receiver. You need a BIG vise with a padding block shaped to fit the receiver, and a barrel wrench. The wrench my smith uses is about 4 ft long. There are also some tricks about using moderate heat and penetrants. They did not want those to unscrew easily. My local smith charged me $35 to replace a 20 g bbl- including checking headspace.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #13

I had the correct vise but not the wrench. I used penitrating oil. I gave up and I am taking it to my gun smith. I have removed them in the past without this much trouble. Thanks for the responce though.

Good Hunting

Old 05-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
A2J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Ark - Most Marlin Leveractions have two barrel bands - a front band which holds the magazine tube to the barrel, and a rear band which holds the forend to the barrel/magazine tube. Both need to come off, as well as the magazine tube. This may necessitate removing the front ramp sight assembly if your Marlin is of the type with a full length magazine tube like in your picture, because the sight will prevent you from sliding the front barrel band off. First remove the magazine plug screw at the front of the magazine tube. Then the magazine tube spring and follower may be withdrawn from the magazine tube. Remove the front band screw and slide the front band forward ( you may need to remove the front sight), then remove the rear band screw and loosen the rear band. Slide the forearm up on the barrel slightly, and withdraw the magazine tube from the receiver. Forearm may now be removed by sliding off the rear band. The red arrow in your picture points to the trigger guard plate screw, which does NOT have to be removed. Be advised that after decades of oil and gum build-up under the forend, it may be necessary to gently tap the forend with a scrap of wood to loosen it - be very careful or you will crack the forend! I refinished a 1960's vintage 336 many years ago and had problems loosening the forend also. Be careful that you don't overtighten the rear barrel band screw - this can also start a crack in your forend. Hope this helps!

I have followed this to the letter and cant get the magazine tube to pull out. I have both band off. I have the spring and everything out. I still cant get the tube to pull out. any suggestions?? is there another screw that needs to be loosened??

Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The screw that holds the mag tube end cap on sometimes screws into the barrel.
If you have everything removed and are sure there are no screws holding anything in place a pair of vise grips (lined with leather) lightly clamped to the mag tube and then hammered on lightly will pop the tube out. Sometimes they bind from rust etc. at the receiver. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE VISE GRIPS.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
A2J

It is totally free on the barrel end. I can't get it out of the other end. Is there something on that end to loosen.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2J View Post
It is totally free on the barrel end. I can't get it out of the other end. Is there something on that end to loosen.
Shouldn't be.

I don't need No stinking signature.