Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Marlin 30-30 refinish... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/marlin-30-30-refinish-6393/)

ArkArcher 08-19-2008 03:02 PM

Marlin 30-30 refinish...

1 Attachment(s)
Hey gang! This is my first post and I'm glad I found you guys! I hope you can help me.

I have a relatively old Marlin 30-30 Alamo Commemorative that my dad bought from a guy (used) for my first deer gun. Well, now my wife has expressed interest in hunting, or at least shooting, so I want to get her set up with my 30-30 and try some managed recoil loads in it for her. I got to looking at the gun and the stock and forearm have seen better days so I decided to refinish it. I got the stock off and got the old finished stripped off of it with no problem but here is my problem....for some reason I can't get the forearm off! I removed the plate off the front of it thinking I could just slide the stock off but i can't get it off. I think removed the screw off the very bottom of the action between the front edge of the lever and the forearm thinking it may be holding something. Anyway, I can't get it off. Do ya'll have any recommendations on how to get it off?? :confused: THANKS a ton!!!

I do not have a picture of my gun, but this one looks just like it and the forearm is attached the exact same way! I removed the plate (yellow arrow) and the screw (red arrow).

THE_REPUBLICAN 08-19-2008 05:43 PM

I got out my .30-30 to take a look, and I really don't think that there could be much more than that plate holding it on. I'm kinda curious now, so let me know if you figure it out

ArkArcher 08-19-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_REPUBLICAN (Post 36805)
I got out my .30-30 to take a look, and I really don't think that there could be much more than that plate holding it on. I'm kinda curious now, so let me know if you figure it out

That's what I was thinking too until I took it off. There is a little piece going across under the barrel that has a threaded hole on each side and that is what the screws go into to hold that plate on...but it is attached to the barrel and it won't let the forearm slide forward at all so I can't get the butt end of the forearm out of the receiver part of the gun. :confused: I read somewhere else where you have to take the magazine tube off and the forearm will drop straight down then.

If you look here at the diagram of the gun (here: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Centerfire.pdf), it sure does look like the magazine tube is inside of the forearm rather than just the forearm sitting on top of it doesn't it?

ArkArcher 08-19-2008 08:37 PM

Ok so I posted a reply about 45 minutes ago and it said the reply would have to be "approved by a mod." What is that all about? I'm on a ton of forums and never heard of that. :confused: .....and it's still not on here.

Dillinger 08-19-2008 08:48 PM

New posters, with pictures, are delayed for their first few posts to keep the amount of SPAM down to a minimum. The Mods here are very good about checking the new posts and getting them up as soon as they can.

As for your problem, I am going to be of no help on this one. What I don't know about lever action hunting rifles can "just about" be shoe horned into the Grand Canyon....

My old man had a lever action Marlin .45-70 and I shot it, probably, a grand total of a dozen times as a kid and never had to clean it...

I know that RL357 has several lever guns, he might be of some help.

Good luck. And Welcome to the Forum....

JD

ArkArcher 08-19-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 36830)
New posters, with pictures, are delayed for their first few posts to keep the amount of SPAM down to a minimum. The Mods here are very good about checking the new posts and getting them up as soon as they can.

As for your problem, I am going to be of no help on this one. What I don't know about lever action hunting rifles can "just about" be shoe horned into the Grand Canyon....

My old man had a lever action Marlin .45-70 and I shot it, probably, a grand total of a dozen times as a kid and never had to clean it...

I know that RL357 has several lever guns, he might be of some help.

Good luck. And Welcome to the Forum....

JD

Thanks JD. It just threw me becasue my first post (the one at the top of this page) was posted right away and didn't have to get approved and it had a picture. That's why I was confused about my reply having to get approved. Thanks for the info. ;)

By the way, I found out what the model of my gun is. It's a Marlin 3081 "1836 Alamo Commemorative" 30-30. ;)

matt g 08-19-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArkArcher (Post 36825)
Ok so I posted a reply about 45 minutes ago and it said the reply would have to be "approved by a mod." What is that all about? I'm on a ton of forums and never heard of that. :confused: .....and it's still not on here.

Fixed it for you bro'. We get spammed hard here because of our popularity listings on webrings. I come through at least once a day to clean things up and approve posts. PM me if you have any problems.

RL357Mag 08-19-2008 11:39 PM

Ark - Most Marlin Leveractions have two barrel bands - a front band which holds the magazine tube to the barrel, and a rear band which holds the forend to the barrel/magazine tube. Both need to come off, as well as the magazine tube. This may necessitate removing the front ramp sight assembly if your Marlin is of the type with a full length magazine tube like in your picture, because the sight will prevent you from sliding the front barrel band off. First remove the magazine plug screw at the front of the magazine tube. Then the magazine tube spring and follower may be withdrawn from the magazine tube. Remove the front band screw and slide the front band forward ( you may need to remove the front sight), then remove the rear band screw and loosen the rear band. Slide the forearm up on the barrel slightly, and withdraw the magazine tube from the receiver. Forearm may now be removed by sliding off the rear band. The red arrow in your picture points to the trigger guard plate screw, which does NOT have to be removed. Be advised that after decades of oil and gum build-up under the forend, it may be necessary to gently tap the forend with a scrap of wood to loosen it - be very careful or you will crack the forend! I refinished a 1960's vintage 336 many years ago and had problems loosening the forend also. Be careful that you don't overtighten the rear barrel band screw - this can also start a crack in your forend. Hope this helps!

ArkArcher 08-20-2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 36868)
Ark - Most Marlin Leveractions have two barrel bands - a front band which holds the magazine tube to the barrel, and a rear band which holds the forend to the barrel/magazine tube. Both need to come off, as well as the magazine tube. This may necessitate removing the front ramp sight assembly if your Marlin is of the type with a full length magazine tube like in your picture, because the sight will prevent you from sliding the front barrel band off. First remove the magazine plug screw at the front of the magazine tube. Then the magazine tube spring and follower may be withdrawn from the magazine tube. Remove the front band screw and slide the front band forward ( you may need to remove the front sight), then remove the rear band screw and loosen the rear band. Slide the forearm up on the barrel slightly, and withdraw the magazine tube from the receiver. Forearm may now be removed by sliding off the rear band. The red arrow in your picture points to the trigger guard plate screw, which does NOT have to be removed. Be advised that after decades of oil and gum build-up under the forend, it may be necessary to gently tap the forend with a scrap of wood to loosen it - be very careful or you will crack the forend! I refinished a 1960's vintage 336 many years ago and had problems loosening the forend also. Be careful that you don't overtighten the rear barrel band screw - this can also start a crack in your forend. Hope this helps!

THANKS MAG! I was able to get it off and now both the forearm and the stock have their first coat on and are drying. And I must say, they look 100 times better even with the first coat!;)

RL357Mag 08-20-2008 02:55 AM

Good news! They are fine guns and I wouldn't trade mine for a Winchester. ( I've got two of those anyway)
Being an older gun yours no doubt has micro-groove rifling, which Marlin discontinued. This makes the older guns worth quite a bit more. With a small 4x20mm scope and the right handloads, I have produced 75 yd. targets with all 5 rounds touching. My Winchesters never came close to that level of accuracy. Good luck!