Krylon job? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Krylon job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dude if you could paint like that you would be fn awsome

Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I was thinking, "Damn, that guy's good with a spray can!"
i'm good, but not that good! i only can wish i could paint that good! i spend less than $25 in materials for each gun i do and about three hours of my time to do a rifle. i know a guy who does airbrush painting, he could probably do one like the top pictures, but for what it would cost, i would never take the gun out the house! also i only did the synthetic stocks on my rifles, have not done the metal. if i wanted to do the barrel and receiver or the metal parts of a rifle, i would probably look at getting a different type of material, such as maybe the duracoat or some of the others carried by brownell's.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Zombi, which Krylon paint did you use? because i am using the Krylon camo paint (flat finish) and have had good luck with it. prep work is the key, no matter what brand of paint or finish you use. i wipe my stocks down with acetone to remove any oils after washing with a small amount of detergent and water. followed with a wipe down with alcohol, then a final wipe with a tack cloth. then i spray a light coat of adhesion promoter and let dry for about an hour. then i use several light coats to lay down my base color, then spray my camo pattern. a couple of mine have endured a coulpe of seasons in the woods with very little wear and tear.
I did in fact use Krylon camo flat as well. I did a lot of auto body refinishing a while back and am real anal about prep. I cleaned with alcohol and hit all the parts with a scotchbrite (instead of buying adhesion promoter) then went in with 3 light coats and then 2 heavier coats. I effed up a few times because it was getting dark and I was getting impatient and there were a couple small runs on the stock but I went back ad knocked em out with the scotchbrite and another light coat. Hoping to take it out within the next week

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall
I was thinking, "Damn, that guy's good with a spray can!"
LoLoL. Me too!! Then I was thinking "he gotta be yanking our chain!"

Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
LoLoL. Me too!! Then I was thinking "he gotta be yanking our chain!"
sorry to disappoint you guys! wrong pictures at the top. that's why the correction. here are some i have done in camo.
camo-guns-shotguns-001.jpg   camo-guns-shotguns-009.jpg   camo-guns-shotguns-010.jpg   camo-guns-shotguns-002.jpg  

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #16

The gun looks great. Excellent job!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
The gun looks great. Excellent job!
thank you. i have done this on all of my synthetic stocks that came in black. i just don't like the black synthetic stock look. besides i'm a tightwad, and just wouldn't spend the $150 the guy wanted to do a camo dip of the stocks. at a 150 per stock, =$750! i did five rifles for less than $40 plus my time. so i saved 710, = new gun! my figuring anyways!