Krylon job?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Krylon job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Krylon job?

Ok, I have never done this but I a
Thinking about painting my AK coyote tan. Not the whole thing, just the stock, pistol grip, and rail covers. Maybe the mags. Anyone have any tips? Should I sand my parts first? what should I clean them with? What's the best way to guarantee a solid finish? Help me out guys!

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #2

Please dont spray paint and wreak your gun. Buy a good product for a couple extra dollars. If you have additional questions contact me at Guardedarms.com i have my information on the site.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #3

I actually used krylon camo spray paint for my rifle. I didn't like the synthetic stock and black barrel so I did it at home. It was very easy and turned out very well. I did a slight sanding and then used isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Just be sure to use a lint free rag.

image-4164809488.jpg   image-1667765220.jpg   image-2026370419.jpg   image-3085340569.jpg  

Old 09-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #4

Turned out great after all! Had a buddy of mine give me a hand since he has done all of his guns

image-4659613.jpg  

Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #5

That looks awesome.

I got a pistol grip collapsable stock on my shotgun and I've been debating spraying it too. Mainly the rear stock and the forearm.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I really like the look of your rifle however if you used Krylon paint on it, it will never hold up.. At least not for very long. I think it was mentioned above to spend a few extra bucks for product that's made for guns.. DuraCoat is one such product and it's one that I use exclusively.

Trust me on this. It may look nice now but after some use and cleaning, the paint will start to come off or will wear off over time.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Yea I knew when I did it Krylon won't hold forever but until I find a range that I can go to and put her through the paces it's gonna be shot from only a benches position. Plus I wouldn't mind the "wear and tear" look

Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombihunter804 View Post
Yea I knew when I did it Krylon won't hold forever but until I find a range that I can go to and put her through the paces it's gonna be shot from only a benches position. Plus I wouldn't mind the "wear and tear" look
Zombi, which Krylon paint did you use? because i am using the Krylon camo paint (flat finish) and have had good luck with it. prep work is the key, no matter what brand of paint or finish you use. i wipe my stocks down with acetone to remove any oils after washing with a small amount of detergent and water. followed with a wipe down with alcohol, then a final wipe with a tack cloth. then i spray a light coat of adhesion promoter and let dry for about an hour. then i use several light coats to lay down my base color, then spray my camo pattern. a couple of mine have endured a coulpe of seasons in the woods with very little wear and tear.
camo-guns-003.jpg   camo-guns-004.jpg   camo-guns-002-015.jpg   camo-guns-002-008.jpg  

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sorry, top two pictures are wrong! couldn't see the small pictures! those are factory camo dipped. wouldn't want people to think my paint jobs are that good!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was thinking, "Damn, that guy's good with a spray can!"