Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > keeping my gun new

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default keeping my gun new

i have 2 guns ,a glock 26 and a hi power double action gun.the first is made of polymer and the other is staibnless steel. i would like to know how to keep my guns in a good shape while using ,so that they last long enough,ive seen guns with ppl that looks almost new and they have used them for a long time,and others who have demolished their,s. where do i put on a shelf or some kind of leather,i also heard that they should be washed with gasoline. any one who has an idea about that

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7555 Times on 3289 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Well, washing ANYTHING in gasoline is not a good idea. It is not only very dangerous, but gasoline is a motor fuel, not a lubricant/cleaner/preservative.

First, I do not suggest storing ANY gun in leather. The compounds used in curing leather are not friendly to guns. Carrying in a leather holster is OK (I prefer synthetic) but do not store in a leather holster for long periods.

Suggest cleaning after firing using a good solvent (Hoppes #9 has been around for years- and there are others) and wiping down metal with a good protectant- there are silicone gun wipes, or use CLP.

Do not leave your gun where it will slide around, get banged around, dropped, knocked against stuff, etc. Biggest enemies most guns have are 1. OVER lubrication 2. UNDER lubrication 3. Neglect 4. Abuse.

Get the owner's manuals for your guns, read, follow instructions. Leave gasoline for the car.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #3

any natural or more available component i can use to clean and oil my gun ,if those materials are not close by

Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Low odor mineral spirits could be used as cleaning solvent in a pinch, but it is not going to do anything for copper fouling in the barrel- it can help remove powder fouling (carbon). For lube and rust prevention- any light machine oil. 3-n-1 from any drug store.

Of course, you could make homemade lye soap from wood ash and strained fat for cleaning, and lubricate with oil pressed from castor beans grown on organic mulch.

Where are you that you could not get a basic cleaning kit- by mail if needed?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #5

I always spray my guns down with dry silicone spray(lube)when i am ready to store them and always keep them in a case,even in my safe.It doesnt attract dust and repels moisture. I will occasionally take my wall hangers down and spray and wipe them down ,they always look good and very little dust build-up.It is always a good idea to store guns with some kind of dessicant(moisture trap)you could probably get some at a gun store, or get one of those battery humidity traps that are on the market.

if you dont shoot you dont hit,if you do shoot you might hit ..................... Once a soldier always a soldier A trp 1/7 cav

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #6

if i intend to store my guns,to use them only when needed,do i have to clean them frequently or just once,and store them good

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Clean, lube lightly, store in a dry place with a fairly constant temp (no up/down/up/down temp swings) Check now and again. Do not store IN leather or foam. Both can attact moisture from the air.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Clean, lube lightly, store in a dry place with a fairly constant temp (no up/down/up/down temp swings) Check now and again. Do not store IN leather or foam. Both can attact moisture from the air.

Good advice...

Do not over lube when storing. A simple "lite" coat will do. Too much oil can foul the gun for firing and will allow too much gunk to build up after shooting. I go into my gun safes on a regular interval to inspect, handle, and run over them with a silicone impregnated cloth.

Investing in good cleaning gear is a must if you truely want to maintian your firearms in the condition that you apparently want to. DO NOT SKIMP..!! If you do not have the correct cleaning solvent(s) and cloths? GO BUY THEM... I well maintianed firearm will outlive you...

Cheers