Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > J. Stevens 410 Shotgun Stock Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default J. Stevens 410 Shotgun Stock Restoration

Along with the Stevens Favorite I got from my grandpa, I also got this J. Stevens 410 Shotgun that I'm working on.

Pic of the shotgun

Stock and handguard before restoration...not in that bad of shape

Stock and handguard after cleaning, degreasing, steaming, bleaching, and sanding

I haven't started on the WATCO Teak Oil yet, so I'm far from finished. But I love the way the grain of the wood came out.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Good looking job. Please post pics when finished.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8407 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

At one time, they used nice wood even on utility grade guns. I have a couple of old Mossberg 22s that have grain that looks like a tiger's eye ring.

Very nice job on your shotgun.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19940 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50260

very nice grain to the wood. should look good when finished. i can't wait to see the finished job.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looking very nice so far. Looking forward to the final results. BTW, you mentioned "bleaching".. please elaberate if you don't mind.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Looking very nice so far. Looking forward to the final results. BTW, you mentioned "bleaching".. please elaberate if you don't mind.
I've seen rifle and shotgun stocks that have stains from either gun oil or other gunk. There are wood bleaching products available to get those stains out...that's what I mean by bleaching. Another method that works is running the stocks in the dishwasher with detergent.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
I've seen rifle and shotgun stocks that have stains from either gun oil or other gunk. There are wood bleaching products available to get those stains out...that's what I mean by bleaching. Another method that works is running the stocks in the dishwasher with detergent.
Thanks... I posted to your other thread.. Good work.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #8

I got some more work done with the stock and handguard of my Stevens 410 shotgun. Both got 3 coats of WATCO Teak Oil, a light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper after drying, and then 2 more coats of Teak Oil. Now to let them dry for the next few days.