Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > How much Cerakote Shotgun + G19.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How much Cerakote Shotgun + G19.

Hi,
I'm about to do a hand-me-down pump shotgun that would otherwise need stripped anyway since it has rust pits. I have a snake scheme in mind but though, what the heck, might as well hit the Glock I'm resizing too. I already have some Iwata HP/HP-C, higher end air brushes and comressor setup that I used to learn custom auto stuff for my motorbikes. I think they should suffice. I read on brownells that their 4oz bottles supposedly do 6 pistols or 2-3 rifles. I'm gonna call BS on that. I can't see a 4oz bottle doing 3 rifles. No way. Not unless all they are talking about is a select few parts of these rifles. Maybe I'm guilty of wasting tons of paint or something, but I never get coatings to stretch to as much surface area as advertised. My question is, what would be a more realistic expectation. Would 4oz bottle of air dry Cerakote stretch to cover as the base of my pump shotgun and a Glock? I might experiment a little and run a snake skin. I can figure out patterns and masking with cheaper acrylic paint and posterboard then prep and paint.
Thanks

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Actually a 4 oz bottle of Cerakote (I assume you are talking about air dry) will cover 4 barreled actions. It does on very thin and with an airbrushy there isn't a ton of overspray so you aren't wasting much. I have a4 oz bottle of black air dry Cerakote that I keep using on rifles and it doesn't seem to deplete.

What I don't think you can do is paint over Cerakote with anything, even more Cerakote because it won't stick to itself and other paints will peels right off as well. You want to give NIC a call, they are helpful and knowledgable.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyedmac View Post
What I don't think you can do is paint over Cerakote with anything, even more Cerakote because it won't stick to itself and other paints will peels right off as well.
Yep, not having enough to finish and then having to strip and start over is what I was worried about. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have a cheap-o practice gun to start with (Maverick 88 that was given to me, so it's not the end of the world if I screw it up). I need to get the thing reliable again and then I'll do some stock fitting and a learn some rifle painting. Then maybe I'll hit a Glock that I'm resizing.
So with shooting it with an airbrush: Does Cerakote feed pretty well then? I have no idea what the consistency is like. I planned on using a good ol' #4 tip. I should probably call NIC before I start. Thanks again.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 02-06-2011 at 09:03 PM.