How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture.

I've been experimenting with different stains on wood furniture in an attempt to get a blonde color. I've bleached the wood and just added tung oil, which turned out nicely, but was more of a "nude" than a blonde.

I've used a golden pecan, which also is really nice, but not blonde. I read somewhere what one guy used a mix of Watco Teak Oil and golden pecan, but I have yet to try that.

What stains (already made or your own mixes) do you guys recomend?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
I've been experimenting with different stains on wood furniture in an attempt to get a blonde color. I've bleached the wood and just added tung oil, which turned out nicely, but was more of a "nude" than a blonde.

I've used a golden pecan, which also is really nice, but not blonde. I read somewhere what one guy used a mix of Watco Teak Oil and golden pecan, but I have yet to try that.

What stains (already made or your own mixes) do you guys recomend?

Thanks!
Here are the results of using Golden Yellow RIT dye.

img_0185.jpg   img_0179.jpg   img_0208.jpg   img_0206.jpg  

Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

that AK furniture looks good AR...

when i want to achieve a blonde look on a rifle/pistol stock,i sand the living crap out of the wood (by hand)mostly :/ using corse to fine papers...& finish it using just tru-oil.

there is something about a natural look on a gun stock that brings a to my face.
the finer you can get the (stock/wood grain) the lighter the stains/finishes will take....happy sanding

Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
that AK furniture looks good AR...

when i want to achieve a blonde look on a rifle/pistol stock,i sand the living crap out of the wood (by hand)mostly :/ using corse to fine papers...& finish it using just tru-oil.

there is something about a natural look on a gun stock that brings a to my face.
the finer you can get the (stock/wood grain) the lighter the stains/finishes will take....happy sanding
Thanks. I feel the same way about wood furniture. Do you use chemical stipper on the wood to remove the old stain/lacquer?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

if its a cheap mosin or old mauser rifle,i use oven cleaner to strip away the old grime....now if im refinishing a blaser or better i'd do it all by hand...i have refinished a few old winchesters without any kind of strippers,other than elbow powera good sharp ''red devil scraper/bastard file''will be your best friend once you get the feel for it

Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
if its a cheap mosin or old mauser rifle,i use oven cleaner to strip away the old grime....now if im refinishing a blaser or better i'd do it all by hand...i have refinished a few old winchesters without any kind of strippers,other than elbow powera good sharp ''red devil scraper/bastard file''will be your best friend once you get the feel for it
Cool. Thank you.