Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/how-get-blonde-look-wood-furniture-32725/)

ARnoob 10-06-2010 06:30 PM

How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture.

I've been experimenting with different stains on wood furniture in an attempt to get a blonde color. I've bleached the wood and just added tung oil, which turned out nicely, but was more of a "nude" than a blonde.

I've used a golden pecan, which also is really nice, but not blonde. I read somewhere what one guy used a mix of Watco Teak Oil and golden pecan, but I have yet to try that.

What stains (already made or your own mixes) do you guys recomend?

Thanks!

ARnoob 10-30-2010 09:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ARnoob (Post 364037)
I've been experimenting with different stains on wood furniture in an attempt to get a blonde color. I've bleached the wood and just added tung oil, which turned out nicely, but was more of a "nude" than a blonde.

I've used a golden pecan, which also is really nice, but not blonde. I read somewhere what one guy used a mix of Watco Teak Oil and golden pecan, but I have yet to try that.

What stains (already made or your own mixes) do you guys recomend?

Thanks!

Here are the results of using Golden Yellow RIT dye.

m72law 10-31-2010 02:12 PM

that AK furniture looks good AR...

when i want to achieve a blonde look on a rifle/pistol stock,i sand the living crap out of the wood (by hand)mostly :/ using corse to fine papers...& finish it using just tru-oil.

there is something about a natural look on a gun stock that brings a :) to my face.
the finer you can get the (stock/wood grain) the lighter the stains/finishes will take....happy sanding

ARnoob 11-01-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 377781)
that AK furniture looks good AR...

when i want to achieve a blonde look on a rifle/pistol stock,i sand the living crap out of the wood (by hand)mostly :/ using corse to fine papers...& finish it using just tru-oil.

there is something about a natural look on a gun stock that brings a :) to my face.
the finer you can get the (stock/wood grain) the lighter the stains/finishes will take....happy sanding

Thanks. I feel the same way about wood furniture. Do you use chemical stipper on the wood to remove the old stain/lacquer?

m72law 11-02-2010 12:56 AM

if its a cheap mosin or old mauser rifle,i use oven cleaner to strip away the old grime....now if im refinishing a blaser or better i'd do it all by hand...i have refinished a few old winchesters without any kind of strippers,other than elbow power:eek:a good sharp ''red devil scraper/bastard file''will be your best friend once you get the feel for it:)

ARnoob 11-02-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 378677)
if its a cheap mosin or old mauser rifle,i use oven cleaner to strip away the old grime....now if im refinishing a blaser or better i'd do it all by hand...i have refinished a few old winchesters without any kind of strippers,other than elbow power:eek:a good sharp ''red devil scraper/bastard file''will be your best friend once you get the feel for it:)

Cool. Thank you.