Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   how to do a stainless finish (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/how-do-stainless-finish-88271/)

urquidez 04-06-2013 02:31 AM

how to do a stainless finish

How can i put a stainless steel finish on my firearm? Do i just remove finish and polish the heck out of it or would i have to do other stuff to it? Ty for info in advance !!!I AM A NOOB AT THIS!!! Ty

towboater 04-06-2013 02:38 AM

Is it stainless under the finish? If not ya cant make it stainless.

Axxe55 04-06-2013 02:42 AM

the only way to make a stainless finish if it's not stainless to begin with is to do some type of coating that looks like stainless. Duracoat IIRC has a color that looks like stainless.

but Towboater is correct. stainless is a type of metal not a finish.

urquidez 04-06-2013 02:46 AM

O ok i dont know if its stainless i have a beat up ria 1911

Axxe55 04-06-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquidez (Post 1204773)
O ok i dont know if its stainless i have a beat up ria 1911

not for sure, but i don't think RIA did any in stainless. maybe nickel plated?

please post some pictures if possible. ae you trying to get a stainless looking finish? just trying to determine what you are trying to achieve.

urquidez 04-06-2013 02:53 AM

I was looking at maybe a matte nickel finish if stainless steel is no y possible

Axxe55 04-06-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquidez (Post 1204784)
I was looking at maybe a matte nickel finish if stainless steel is no y possible

first we need to determine what type of finish or material it is made of to be able to determine what process to use to achieve the result you are after.

c3shooter 04-06-2013 03:03 AM

Stainless steel does not (in general) have- or need a finish. It is an alloy of iron carbon, nickel and chromium that resists rusting (NOT rust proof!)

Other finish can be applied over ordinary carbon steel to keep it from rusting. Bluing (a form of controlled rusting) and nickel plate- later satin type finishes do go on the ordinary carbon steel. .

Nickel metal compounds (and chromium) are highly toxic, nasty heavy metals- would urge you not to fool with them in the kitchen. Send the gun to someone that does that for a living, or look at some of the home coatings you bake on if you want a new look.

danf_fl 04-06-2013 09:48 PM

Take a look at painting it with durakote or something.

Just don't use the "Chrome" from Kylon.

buckhorn_cortez 04-10-2013 04:29 PM

Send it to Robar and have it NP3 finished. NP3 is an electroless nickle finish with Teflon in it and will make the gun look like it is a satin stainless steel. Another method would be to have it hard chromed. I have a hard chromed 1911 and you'd have to get it side-by-side with a stainless steel gun to see the difference. The stainless is a slightly "grey" silver where the hard chrome silver color is a bit more white.