Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Hot Bluing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hot Bluing

Guys...

There has always been cross talk on what finishes to use on firearms i.e.: DuraCoating, Rust Blue, Park, Cold Blue etc.. I've done a bit of restoration work and so far have been able to do all my work with DuraCoat or Cold Blue.. Now I believe it's time to get into the prof. finishing processes and setup for hot bluing.

I want the bare bones of what I'll need specific to getting a good hot blue job accomplished without slamming down 2k for a kit like brownells sells. I believe I could get away with a black iron tank for the bluing and another for the water bath, a burner, thermometer, and propane tank. I already have the safety gear (respirator etc..)

Anyone experienced in this process can set me up, I'd appreciate it.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 07-28-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2308 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1067

Parkerizing is easier to start out with. And less impact from EPA.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Parkerizing is easier to start out with. And less impact from EPA.

I appreciate the response but I'm not wanting to parkerize, I'm wanting to hot blue. I've done a little research and found some information that will get me started I believe. You are correct about the environmental concerns though. Some pretty caustic stuff is being used here.

NRA Life Member

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7621 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Eye and face protection (face shield) Good thermometer. I have done hot blue of small parts using heavy glassware and stainless steel containers. Brownells sells a stick that you daub on the inside of the tank- prevents bluing salts from climbing out of the tank. Do not overlook the water you are using- I use distilled to mix salts, and for the boiling water bath to set the blue. Old blow dryer (do not steal your wife's blow dryer) for blowing off parts. Iron wire to suspend parts in bluing bath. cotton gloves for handling parts after they are degreased.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Eye and face protection (face shield) Good thermometer. I have done hot blue of small parts using heavy glassware and stainless steel containers. Brownells sells a stick that you daub on the inside of the tank- prevents bluing salts from climbing out of the tank. Do not overlook the water you are using- I use distilled to mix salts, and for the boiling water bath to set the blue. Old blow dryer (do not steal your wife's blow dryer) for blowing off parts. Iron wire to suspend parts in bluing bath. cotton gloves for handling parts after they are degreased.

Outstanding... Thank you sir. I also found this link in another forum on the same topic:

Blindhogg custom gunworks

NRA Life Member

Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I was going to say that Brownells sells a kit to get started and has videos instructing how to do it right. c3shooter already has you pointed in the right direction.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The kit that Brownells sells is what I used and contains everything you'll need to get started. If I don't go with something like the kit I invariably will forget several items. Once you get set up it don't cost anything except to replenish supplies occasionally. Brownells also sells cheaper kits. It won't take you long to recoup your investment with a set of hot bluing tanks. Since you're already into refinishing I'm sure you have polishing, media blasting, and surface prep equipment.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1114/Product/_FIRST_STEP__BLUING_KIT

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 07-29-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I was going to say that Brownells sells a kit to get started and has videos instructing how to do it right. c3shooter already has you pointed in the right direction.

Yes he does.. the link was something I found yesterday while doing a little webz researching.

Bear...

Thanks for your input also .. The Brownells kit is fantastic but for now, I cannot afford the 2K for it ( wish I did though ) and yes, I already have the rest of the equipment. Just got another buffer the other day so that I wouldn't have to keep switching buffing wheels all the time.

Most of the equipment was being used just for my own projects but now that I've branched off into working other folks guns, I need more gear ...

NRA Life Member