Hey HillBilly - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Hey HillBilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I plan to replace the base as soon as I can slip the $$$ past my girl. The scope and rifle were pretty hard to sneak in, gotta let it cool off for a little bit. I have looked at the Badger Ordnance stuff and like the set up. I have also considered the stuff from Farrell. Again, not cheap.
It is a factory Remmington barrel, but I figured I wouldn't be out more than a few boxes of ammo for the break in. I was wondering however, about mil surplus ammo. I have a ton of Hirtenburger stuff for my G3. The bullets are steel core with what I have read to be a "copper washed" bullet. I pulled one and cut the bullet apart. The copper seems to be much thicker than any "washed" bullets I have seen. I would like to shoot some just for targets, not serious accuracy. Anyone see any problems with shooting the steel, copper covered bullets? Again, the copper is relatively thick, appears to be as thick as a jacket on a lead bullet. I did a Saeko hardness test and it reads the inner steel as a 9, almost the same as some cast bullets I made that if I remember right are wheel weights.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-26-2008 at 02:38 AM.