Help with refinishing old Marlin 99

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Help with refinishing old Marlin 99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with refinishing old Marlin 99

I just found an old Marlin Model 99 in my father in laws barn. It was his oldest brothers gun, and he just passed away a couple of months ago. So, I was thinking of completely refinishing it up for him as a Christmas present, and I could use all the help I can get. First off I am trying to find out the history of it. I cannot find anywhere to figure out the year it was made. It has no serial numbers, and all I can find are the numbers 400-10A G1, there were located inside the chamber when I took out the whole action assembly. It is in really rough condition. Next problem is that it took me 3 hours just to clear the bugs and mud out of the barrel. For the most part the rifling and bore look great considering the condition it is in, but the first 2 - 3 inches from the chamber show a rust/pitting ring where there mud was located. Any suggestions on fixing that? Thanks for any help, and I am sure I will be asking more questions as my progress gets further into this project. Thanks again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Once steel rusts and produces a pit in a bore, there is no practical way to put steel back that went away. Would try cleaning with Hoppes, possibly with Kroil, good brush, see how it comes up. In doubt, have a smith check it, replace barrel if needed.

You may not HAVE a serial number to find- was not required by law on rifles and shotguns until 1968 Gun Control Act.

For stock, Formby's Refinisher (careful- very flammable) and some Tung Oil.

If exterior metal has light rust, good penetrating oil, let soak for a couple of hours, rub w/ burlap or a COPPER pot scrubber.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

ok, I really got into the stripping part. I did the hoppes on the barrel really hard and it is looking pretty good. I will be taking it out tomorrow to see if it even shoots. I stripped all the old blueing and paint off it, and stripped the stock. If the test shoot goes well I think I have a good game plan to continue. I will be using Duracoat shake and spray on the barrel and tube, but I think I like the look of the bare silver/chrome on the rest. Any ideas on a good, cheap clear coat? Also does anyone know if the trigger guard is aluminum or something else? Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pretty sure your reciever and trigger guard are gonna be an alloy on that rifle. Might also want to reconsider your choice to leave the barrel in the "white" (as it's called) and at least apply a cold blue to it rather than clearcoating it (just my opinion). If you decide to clearcoat, I do believe DuraCoat has a clear.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #5

Yes, I am planning on duracoating the barrel black, but leaving the receiver and trigger guard "white". The barrel is very pitted on the outside and needs to be coated to cover up some of the imperfections. Would you use Duracoat for the clear coat for the receiver and triggerguard?? Or is there another quick and easy product for protection. Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

This aint happening without pics

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #7

I am already regretting that I didn't take any before pics. I will attempt to take some tomorrow after we take it to the range. I am somewhat of a low tech guy.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnron View Post
Yes, I am planning on duracoating the barrel black, but leaving the receiver and trigger guard "white". The barrel is very pitted on the outside and needs to be coated to cover up some of the imperfections. Would you use Duracoat for the clear coat for the receiver and triggerguard?? Or is there another quick and easy product for protection. Thanks for any advice.
DuraCoat has a clear.. That would be my choice for the reciever and trigger guard. As for the barrel. I believe I posted some pics in a thread on showing off your refinishing projects in which I showcased a Winchester Mod. 290 that had a pitted rusted barrel and messed up reciever finish

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/show-off-those-refinished-guns-47356/index2.html

I used a process called Draw Filing to remove all of the pitting and restored the rifle to it's former glory. Using this technique, you can remove all the pitting from the rounded barrel surface as long as you draw the file across rotating the file as you go to avoid creating a flat spot on the barrel.

I hope the link worked. BTW, I reblued the barrel and DuraCaoted the reciever..

GL and please post what ever pics you can.

Bob

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"