Help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help

I have a Hawken rifle. Like the one from Jerimiah Johnson. The barrel was rusted. So i stripped the rust off and the barrel is now shiny. I bought some birchwood casey plum brown to put on it, to restore it to its originally beauty. To do this though, the barrel needs to be heated to 275 degrees. A torch would leave residue, and my oven is not big enough. Any other suggestions on how to heat this barrel up?

Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You wouldn't by any chance have a friend or neighbor with a bigger oven would you? That could lead to a very interesting and humorous conversation "hey, can I put my gun in your oven?"

You can try building one out of brick and mortar, like a backyard barbeque.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

dig a pit and line it with coals!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

You might see if there is a powder coat business close by...just a suggestion.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

A propane torch should not leave any residue. Or if you have a gas range use the top burners to heat the barrel(have to keep the barrel moving to get it fairly even temp). Use your gas BBQ to heat it. If your secret location is Arizona, in the summer you could just set it in the sun I have used that in the past and I doubt if I had the metal a perfect 275 degrees.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get a length of iron pipe that will fit the barrel inside the pipe. Use a heat gun, direct heat into one end of the pipe and out the other. Monitor temp and turn off heat gun when it gets too hot.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

Lupo,

Use caution not to overheat it! It will take the temper out of the barrel which could cause it to rupture when fired. I am sure you will get some good response out of your thread. You might also post it in the Gunsmith section of the Forum in case one of the smiths did not see your request on the regular forums. Sorry but I did not pay attention to the section you initially posted the thread in. You may have posted it in the Gunsmith section but did not want to re-due this message.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy