Has anyone used Blue Wonder Gun Bluing? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Has anyone used Blue Wonder Gun Bluing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
I tried it on an AK receiver, it went on slow and spotty.
I blasted that off & did this.
I have found better results with the BC Perma Blue, but I don't use there directions.
I heat the CLEAN parts to be blued by boiling the parts in water.
Then putting the parts in a 2gal. zip-lock freezer bag & dumping the whole bottle of BC Perma Blue in with the parts, zip it up and shake.
This makes it cover fast with no spots or streaks.
Repeat if needed back to water until hot, then back to the bag & shake.
When you get a good dark finish put in the water reheat then put in new bag and do a soaking spray with a good gun oil like Remington's Rem-oil.
Seal the bag and let sit in warm place (I used the back window of an old car sitting in the sun) for 24hrs.
Couldn't figure out how to edit so I'll repost.
Here is what it looks like after only three coats.

I'm sure Super Blue will work just as good with this method.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 08-25-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've used Blue Wonder for cold blue a fair number of times.....consider it a pretty good product. Yep, I've had some poor results with it when redoing the finish on a receiver....sometimes the metallurgy in them makes it difficult to get a nice even finish.

Prep with it more tedious than with Brownell's Oxpho Blue, which I also consider a good product.

Last time I used the blue wonder, had a Ruger 77 rifle rebarreled by a elderly retired machinest who's worked on guns for well over 40 years as a hobby and sideline. He'd returned the barreled action to me and in a few days I'd dropped in on him to show him the finished rifle that I'd used Blue Wonder on to do the barrel.....original blue on the Ruger receiver too good to mess with...had only done the barrel. We are outside in daylight when I showed him the rifle. He's holding rifle, turning it over and etc., to examine it and he has a quizzical look on his face. Finally, he asked me, "was this barrel already blued when I installed it?" Now this gent is approaching 80 years old, and his memory not the best. I chuckled and replied I'd used Blue Wonder on the barrel. He smiled, nodded his head.....said, "looks good.."

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Most folks I've talked to locally are pointing to metallurgy.. I might be willing to give it another shot on some barreled actions I have laying around just to make sure..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

TheOldMan,

Give the Blue Wonder another try.

Check Blue Wonder website for tips/instructions on its application and carefully follow them. If you have one of their old kits, instructions may differ from those on website.

Prep is important and do heat up the metal till its almost too hot to handle before applying Blue Wonder. After you have done the application and used the Blue Wonder developer for the amount of time necessary to work, make sure you coat metal with oil. I live in a high humidity area and have found it necessary to reapply oil over a several day period. Oil seems to be soaked up by the metal and blue wonder on it. Chemical process will still be going on and you'll be wiping off some form of oxidation. Don't worry about the oxidation, it will stop and you should be left with a nice blue finish that I've found to be durable and doesn't rub/wear off like other blues I've tried.

I've also tried the Birchwood Casey blue, formula 40/44, Tetra, G66 gun blue, Brownell's Oxpho Blue and maybe one or two others. Of these, was only satisfied with the Oxpho Blue, which I prefer to use for small parts. But have done some barrels with it that turned out nice. Had same problem on receivers though that I had with Blue Wonder.

By the way, I live near Houston, Tx, where Blue Wonder Products first developed.....have spoken to its founder/inventor a few times at local guns shows that he sometimes has a booth at to demonstrate his products. Guy can put on quite a demostration of his gun blue. You will find the Blue Wonder cleaner, used in the metal prep, thats in your kit to be a pretty good bore cleaner. Also, good for removing rust on gun metal too without harming surrounding blue.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks huff for your input.. I do intend to give the blue wonder another try.

www.RCGunworksllc.com

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's used this product before and would like to know how it worked for them. I took on a project that should have been a simple touch up for a fella and it's turned into a major PITA for me. I am not set up for hot bluing but none of the traditional cold blues are working for me either. BC Super Blue, and Oxpho Blue are not giving me the deep dark finish that I need for this firearm (model 36 S&W)..

I placed an order for the Blue Wonder this morning and I'm hoping it lives up to it's hype so I can get this firearm back to it's owner soon.

As a side note, all other projects that I've used cold bluing products on have turned out beautifully. Maybe it's the steel?
The way to use Oxpho blue is after the first coating with a cotton ball,use 0000 steel wool to rub the blue in. There is something about the steel wool metal that makes the Oxpho blue react and settle into the rifle metal. I usually only have to go over a rifle or shotgun no more than 4 or 5 times using the steel wool each time I put a new coat on before I get a real black-blue color and it is finished. I let it set over night and then the next day go over the blue with a oily rag (gun oil) and that takes the light colored skrud off and what is left is a deep blue back.
Sarge

Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge257 View Post
The way to use Oxpho blue is after the first coating with a cotton ball,use 0000 steel wool to rub the blue in. There is something about the steel wool metal that makes the Oxpho blue react and settle into the rifle metal. I usually only have to go over a rifle or shotgun no more than 4 or 5 times using the steel wool each time I put a new coat on before I get a real black-blue color and it is finished. I let it set over night and then the next day go over the blue with a oily rag (gun oil) and that takes the light colored skrud off and what is left is a deep blue back.
Sarge

Thanks Sarge, I'll give that a try.

A friend of mine has decided that he'd like me to try the Blue Wonder on an old Ruger MkII he's got. Testing out whether it is the metal that made the difference. I'm not taking the metal down just doing touch up.. We'll see how that goes..

More to come

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I will take The Stars for $200 Alex...

Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #19

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

stars200.jpg

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Alex: What is Rigel?

It is also the 6th brightest start in the night sky.