Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Has anyone used Blue Wonder Gun Bluing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Has anyone used Blue Wonder Gun Bluing?

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's used this product before and would like to know how it worked for them. I took on a project that should have been a simple touch up for a fella and it's turned into a major PITA for me. I am not set up for hot bluing but none of the traditional cold blues are working for me either. BC Super Blue, and Oxpho Blue are not giving me the deep dark finish that I need for this firearm (model 36 S&W)..

I placed an order for the Blue Wonder this morning and I'm hoping it lives up to it's hype so I can get this firearm back to it's owner soon.

As a side note, all other projects that I've used cold bluing products on have turned out beautifully. Maybe it's the steel?

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-16-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I have not tried it, but the video looks promising.
Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I have not tried it, but the video looks promising.
Please keep us updated. Thanks.
Sure will.. Ordered today from MidwayUSA.

NRA Life Member

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

For what it is, (not hot bluing) it is amazing!
The better the polishing/buff job to the metal, the better it looks when applied.

Thomas Jefferson: "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book,"

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I tried it on an AK receiver, it went on slow and spotty.
I have found better results with the BC Super Blue, but I don't use there directions.
I heat the CLEAN parts to be blued by boiling the parts in water.
Then putting the parts in a zip-lock freezer bag & dumping the whole bottle of BC Super Blue in with the parts, zip it up and shake.
This makes it cover fast with no spots or streaks.
Repeat if needed back to water until hot, then back to the bag.
When you get a good dark finish put in the water reheat then put in new bag and do a soaking spray with a good gun oil like Remington's Rem-oil.
Seal the bag and let sit in warm place (I used the back window of an old car sitting in the sun) for 24hrs.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Got the kit yesterday .. I'll be working on the gun this weekend and will post results (before and after photo's) The video does make this product look very good.. We'll see

NRA Life Member

Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #7

Just remember that any flaws in the metal will remain.

Thomas Jefferson: "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book,"

Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Not going to post any pictures but to say the least, I am not impressed with this product. It is more labor intensive than they let on and the finish could not be made uniform. The client seemed happy with the results but I was not. The flats of the frame including the side plate ended up with a rainbow effect to the finish that I could not get around after three seperate attempts. The rest of the firearm did turn out very well and the overall color matched the factory finish pretty well.

I'm just not happy with the results or the product and sent off an email to the company for feedback. I will drop the money to hot blue before going this route again on any firearm such as this one.

NRA Life Member

Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I was looking at it the videos make it look so simple. Blue wonder hasn't gotten any good reviews yet.

Have you tried Brownells 44/40 cold blue? This is the strongest of the cold blues from what I am told.

With oxpho-blue I had to keep going over and over and over. I stopped at 45 applications and still wasn't happy with the look of the finish on my gun.

My method was sand metal with 150, 200, 400, 600 in a shoe shine pattern on barrel. Clean with 90% alcohol then a spray with brake clean allow to dry. I would hold barrel at chamber end and wet cotton balls with the liquid oxpho-blue and rub till arm hurt. Allow to set for 5 minutes to rest arm then buff with 0000 steelwool. Then do it all over again. I spent DAYS doing this I thought I was going to get tennis elbow and carpel tunnel. I am to the point of sending it off to have it hot blued.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Haven't tried the Brownells 44/40. I've always had good luck using BC Super Blue and I've got a full bottle of the Oxpho-Blue so I'll get my arms ready and give it a try on another project gun that I've got. My prep work was never the issue for me since I'm extremely meticulous in that regards. I'm set up for media blasting and use both glass beads and aluminum oxide depending on the base finish I'm needing to work off of.

Bottom line for me really is to get set up for hot bluing in the shop. I've got plenty of ventilation so it's just a matter of putting my wifes mind at ease working with the potentially explosive chemicals.

May or may not get a response from the folks at Blue Wonder (did get an auto reply from the Vice Pres. of the company though). If I don't, no harm no foul, I'll never promote their product nor buy it again. We'll see how that goes and I'll report anything that I get back from them.

Thanks for your input Tango..

NRA Life Member

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-24-2010 at 03:21 PM.