gun kote

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > gun kote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gun kote

I searched the forum for any previous posts on gun kote, didn't find anything to answer my question my apologies if this has been addressed before.

I'm wanting to refinish a bolt action rifle that has a little rust on the od if the barrel.
I'm planning on removing the current finish and polishing the bare metal. KG gun kote air cure has caught my attention, also their base coat k-phos caught my attention.

Has anyone used either of these products? If so would you recommend the air dry or the original bake on.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3064 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

For a rifle, I would recommend air cure. There may not be enough room in the oven for the barrel length.

Preparation is the key. Do not touch the bare metal with bare hands.

In painting, have a well ventilated area that is dust free. Numerouse light coats is better than one heavy coat.
If runs do develop (happens if a coat is too heavy), allow it to dry for a couple of weeks, then fix it. Do not try to fix a run while the coating is still wet.

And pics of before and after would be nice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks, Have you by chance used the air dry? I've got the prep work down pat just curious if anyone has used either product.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3064 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmagerl View Post
Thanks, Have you by chance used the air dry? I've got the prep work down pat just curious if anyone has used either product.
Yes on several of my personal items. And I am giving advice based on my personal experience (that is how I know about runs).

I've used the bake cure products for small things (like the pulls for the kitchen cabinet doors) with great success.

With patience, the air cure can take up to two weeks to get to a point that you can work reassembly.

Humidity and surrounding temp affect the cure process.

Prep the pieces, paint the pieces, and wait.

Another hint is to paint a "test" piece at the same time. When you are tempted to touch anything, touch the test piece. That way you leave fingerprints on the test piece and not the actual product.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #5

Thank you very much, I enjoy the test piece idea lol.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
For a rifle, I would recommend air cure. There may not be enough room in the oven for the barrel length.

Preparation is the key. Do not touch the bare metal with bare hands.

In painting, have a well ventilated area that is dust free. Numerouse light coats is better than one heavy coat.
If runs do develop (happens if a coat is too heavy), allow it to dry for a couple of weeks, then fix it. Do not try to fix a run while the coating is still wet.

And pics of before and after would be nice.
Very well said, Only I strongly encourage you bake...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you don't mind my .02...

Have you looked at another product called Duracoat? Also an air drying product. Only thing is it's got to be applied by airbrush or hvlp gun. All you need do is make sure the area you are painting is prep'd properly (clean of all oils etc.. ) rough up the surface you plan to paint (duracoat adheres better to a rough surface) and go to work.

By rough surface I mean what you'd see a parkarized gun or matte finished gun would have... Not a polished blued surface. You can achieve that by blasting the old finish with Aluminum oxide or use a scotch brite pad or 400 grit wet/dry sand paper...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

Thanks a lot, old man.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I used this on a couple of my guns and am very happy with it. No spray gun needed.
http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper