Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Good book for wood stock/grip making? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/good-book-wood-stock-grip-making-26007/)

Poink88 04-13-2010 11:38 AM

Good book for wood stock/grip making?

Anyone know of a good reference/tutorial book for wooden stock making? I am planning on starting with pistol & revolver grips. Not for commercial purposes but a hobby since I like working with wood.

Preferably, the book would also have a "minimalist" shop tool requirement if possible.

Related to this, what (affordable) rifle should I look for to experiment on (old or new). My Weatherby Vanguard is arriving today and wondering if it is a good candidate.

Thanks for any recommendation(s). :)

superc 04-16-2010 04:52 PM

Roy Dunlap, "Gun Owner's Book of Care, Repair and Improvement."
Several chapters dealing with aspects of stock making.
Sold under the Outdoor Life label in the 70s. Check w/Amazon.com

I used to have a copy of "Rifles," by Jack O'connor. I haven't seen my copy in more than a decade, but I seem to recall a lot of useful stuff about stocks in it too.

General_lee 04-17-2010 01:27 AM

I can't think of a book right off hand.
However, I am being trained in the ways of a gunsmith that has been in business since '62, I have made a few grips, so maybe I can help you out with the tools that make your life much easier.

1 A bandsaw

2 Stationary belt sander, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive

3 A drill press is not entirely necessary, but it does make it a lot easier to drill the grip screw holes.

4 Variable speed Dremel tool with sanding drum (for rough shaping).

5 Lots of sandpaper in different grits from coarse to fine.

EDIT: That list is for making grips, if you want to build rifle stocks from scratch, there are more tools that you might need, such as a barrel channel scraper, chisels, gouges, more bits for the Dremel, etc.

Poink88 04-17-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 271127)
I can't think of a book right off hand.
However, I am being trained in the ways of a gunsmith that has been in business since '62, I have made a few grips, so maybe I can help you out with the tools that make your life much easier.

1 A bandsaw

2 Stationary belt sander, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive

3 A drill press is not entirely necessary, but it does make it a lot easier to drill the grip screw holes.

4 Variable speed Dremel tool with sanding drum (for rough shaping).

5 Lots of sandpaper in different grits from coarse to fine.

EDIT: That list is for making grips, if you want to build rifle stocks from scratch, there are more tools that you might need, such as a barrel channel scraper, chisels, gouges, more bits for the Dremel, etc.

Great!!! I have all these! :cool::D

csapow 12-09-2010 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=superc;270867]Roy Dunlap, "Gun Owner's Book of Care, Repair and Improvement."
I just ordered this book, It looks interesting.

Poink88, have you started any projects? Any pictures?

domino300 12-24-2010 05:28 PM

"Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy circa 1952 & 1962, deals mostly with checkering.