gold inlay
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > gold inlay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gold inlay

This one isn't real fancy but it came out looking great. The script lettering is inlaid with 24k gold wire. After the gold was in and polished, I re-blued the barrel and slide. It's a Browning Buckmark so the front sight and rear base are aluminum and couldn't be blued but the color matches a lot better in real life. My camera pulled a lot of "blue" out of the barrel so it looks like the sight is a completely different color. Please feel free to comment.

David

remy.jpg  

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #2

It looks really great. I have a SA1911 that I was thinking about inlaying. Any tips or suggestion? I have never done it before like I said just thinking about it.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #3

Thank you very much.

How much engraving experience do you have? Inlaying straight lines that are the same width isn't all that tough. It is, however, pretty time consuming. Tight curves and widths that vary are a little more difficult but with a little practice can come out beautifully.

Let me know what you are wanting to do and I'll try and help. Plain border lines, block lettering, script, etc.

David

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #4

Nice clean lettering . This isn't all that easy when the lettering has to be cut deep enough to accomidate undercutting each letter for gold inlay & keeping lines smooth. Big time congrats david on a job well done.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #5

Ken, thank you very much sir. That means a great deal to me, especially coming from a man of your talent.

David

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #6

You're most welcome Mr. David. It is easy for me to spot good work as I now have 50 years experience working in the firearms engraving trade. After you are able to put as many years in the trade as I have , you will no doubt be able to do better than I do now. The art of firearm engraving is on the up swing --- there is a demand for higher quality work coming from clients & younger guys like you will lead the way holding the torch high. Best regards ............

Mr. Canebreak, again I would like to thank you for your help. When it comes to computers, I'm a first class dummy.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Well Done !!

I don't know how much experience you have doing this work. I was a smith for BrowninG for almost 40 years and seen some of the best. Sooo if you are new to this I think it looks pretty good. Best of luck to you and it is " WELL DONE " !!!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #8

Liked 119 Times on 76 Posts

Beautiful inlay.
Man- Ken and I are EVERYWHERE!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #9

Likes Given: 7

That's beautifully done, I've yet to try my hand at doing some engraving on anything other than wood. Anybody have any pointers on a good resource for good quality engraving tools that are preferably NOT made in china?

-Adam
Owner / Bullets and Brass, LLC
Gilroy, California

Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #10

Liked 119 Times on 76 Posts

Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies