Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Going to start my first refinishing project (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/going-start-my-first-refinishing-project-44386/)

ta1588 06-27-2011 01:23 AM

Going to start my first refinishing project

Hey guys, I'm planning on refinishing a Makarov frame. I want it to be a little more resistant to rust and to look better, the finish is faded and just doesn't look as good as it used to. I want the gun to have a duo-tone look to it so I'm probably gonna refinish it in a matte silver/gray. Any suggestions on the best products to use are welcome. First things first though. I need to prepare the surface and I'm wondering what's the best kind of sandpaper to use? I don't want to risk taking any metal off it (kinda paranoid about that) thanks in advance.

SwampDonkey 06-27-2011 01:50 AM

I would probably start with a wet/dry sandpaper 320 grit light stokes and then do a 400 grit. 3m makes a good 400 grit on a foam pad get in and around groves good. Steel wool would work as well.

CA357 06-27-2011 02:15 AM

Start with a rust and blue remover. That way you can see what you've got to work with before you start sanding. That way you can determine if just some steel wool will do the job or if you need to go heavier.

For a home done finish, I like Brownell's AlumaHyde II. Some folks like Duracoat. Both come in different colors.

OzarkRecluse 06-27-2011 10:40 AM

+1 on the Aluma Hyde. If you prep with it properly and are patient enough to let it cure, it will give you an outstanding finish. Very tough stuff.

ta1588 06-27-2011 05:08 PM

I'll definitely look into to the AlumaHyde. I was thinking dura-bake because it looks like it would be easier to do.

BillDeShivs 07-01-2011 07:36 AM

Any sandpaper will remove metal. Use a blue stripper, then 400 grit wet/dry automotive paper. If you are going to paint the frame, you should bead blast it first.

TheOldMan 07-12-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDeShivs (Post 532424)
Any sandpaper will remove metal. Use a blue stripper, then 400 grit wet/dry automotive paper. If you are going to paint the frame, you should bead blast it first.

Bead blasting will remove the old finish without removing any metal. However, if you intend to paint the frame afterwards, you will have to rough up the finish a bit to give the paint a better platform to adhere itself to. This is especially true if using a product such as DuraCoat.

BillDeShivs 07-12-2011 06:53 PM

Bead blasting removes metal. I believe Duracoat recommends bead blasting before application of it's products.

TheOldMan 07-14-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDeShivs (Post 539722)
Bead blasting removes metal. I believe Duracoat recommends bead blasting before application of it's products.

Perhaps I should have been more clear: GLASS bead blasting will not remove metal.. Aluminum Oxide blasting will etch the metal. Duracoat recommends that you have a roughned finish for best application.

BillDeShivs 07-14-2011 12:40 PM

Glass bead blasting removes metal.
Aluminum oxide blasting removes metal more aggressively.