Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Galvinized barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/galvinized-barrel-62367/)

demonsees80 04-12-2012 01:20 PM

Galvinized barrel

I have what I was told, a late 50's wards western field 12 gauge shotgun. It's a single barrel break action and I'd like to refinish it. I've read the threads for the stock but don't know about the barrel. I believe it's just galvanized metal and I've tried googling the gun but come up with nothing. And advice for what to do? Polishing or blue coating? Thanks

c3shooter 04-12-2012 02:34 PM

Well, if you post the model number, and all the funny little lines on the gun (called WORDS) we may be able to tell you who made it for Montgomery Wards.

Galvanized is a term for coated in Zinc- usually done to limit rusting- and NOT done to guns. If the barrel is a dark black/blue, that is bluing. The frame may be a light silvery/tan with mottled rainbow colors- that is color case hardening.

Post some pictures for us. Unless the bluing is long gone, it is amazing what you can do with light oil, a COPPER pot scrubber, followed by a wipedown with clean soft cloth.

demonsees80 04-12-2012 05:47 PM

There is no trace of bluing left if there was any. I'll post some pics when I get home. I know when I replaced the firing pin, they said it was an h&r or h&r. I forget. But I'm and electrician and it looks just like a piece of galvanized conduit lol

Tackleberry1 04-12-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonsees80 (Post 768945)
There is no trace of bluing left if there was any. I'll post some pics when I get home. I know when I replaced the firing pin, they said it was an h&r or h&r. I forget. But I'm and electrician and it looks just like a piece of galvanized conduit lol

If the barrel looks like electrical conduit I would deffinetly NOT fire it.

H&R is, I believe short for Harrison and Richardson who did build guns under contract for Wards.

Post pics, you've got me currious. Never seen anyone replace a barrel with conduit but there is a first time for everything:)

Tack

demonsees80 04-12-2012 06:07 PM

I will post it in about 5 hours or so. I've put about 500 shells through it and never had an issue. Shoots true every time. The 2 h&r was a typo. Supposed to be h&r or h&k

Tackleberry1 04-12-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonsees80 (Post 768966)
I will post it in about 5 hours or so. I've put about 500 shells through it and never had an issue. Shoots true every time. The 2 h&r was a typo. Supposed to be h&r or h&k

Doubt it's H&K. Don't think Heckler & Koch ever built a shorty for Wards.

demonsees80 04-12-2012 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a model 10-SD247A

demonsees80 04-12-2012 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry I'm new

orangello 04-12-2012 11:14 PM

That looks a lot like the "finish" of my old mossberg hunting barrel (from before they had screw-in chokes). It just looks, to me a non-gunsmith, like the blue is worn off. How does the part under the wood furniture look?

I just keep that old barrel oiled well & in the safe; the mossy wears a shorter barrel now.

demonsees80 04-12-2012 11:20 PM

It's the same under the wood too. There's no blue in the writing on the barrel either.