Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   First Camo Paint Job (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/first-camo-paint-job-73955/)

hareebrownbeest 10-08-2012 10:04 PM

First Camo Paint Job

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 63016

Attachment 63017

Attachment 63023

I just used some black berry leaves and overlapped some green and brown over black base.

gunnut07 10-10-2012 10:03 PM

Looks good.

hareebrownbeest 10-10-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks, it was fun and easy.

WhelanLad 10-13-2012 08:46 AM

potentially guna do my Abolt stock, what paint did you use, just a normal spray paint or a special plastic paint?

hareebrownbeest 10-13-2012 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 64073

This right here.

Axxe55 10-13-2012 12:12 PM

preparation is the biggest factor in whether it will adhere or not. on synthetic stocks that i paint, i use brake cleaner for the initial cleaning, followed by a good dish detergent like Dawn, used with a scotchbrite pad and then use alcohol and lint free cloths to wipe down the stock. i also use an adhesion promoter before applying the first coats of paint. lighter coats are better for the base coat with a good drying time in between coats. this method has served me well as i have several done this way that are holding up very well after several years of use and abuse.

hareebrownbeest 10-13-2012 04:41 PM

I used to be a automotive painter and preparation is definitely key to a good paint job. I cleaned the syn. Stock with some grease and wax remover followed by some denatured alcohol. Let it air dry , hung it in a well ventilated garage and went to town. I also used some stiff wire hangers so the stock wouldn't move as I held the leaves in place to get my patterns. Also I sprayed at about 10-12 inches away so the air from the can wouldn't move the leaves around.

Axxe55 10-14-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest (Post 975138)
I used to be a automotive painter and preparation is definitely key to a good paint job. I cleaned the syn. Stock with some grease and wax remover followed by some denatured alcohol. Let it air dry , hung it in a well ventilated garage and went to town. I also used some stiff wire hangers so the stock wouldn't move as I held the leaves in place to get my patterns. Also I sprayed at about 10-12 inches away so the air from the can wouldn't move the leaves around.

HBB, you done good! you definately have a handle on painting synthetic stocks. one nice thing about it, is that it does wear well and even if you do scratch it up, it's easy to retouch up.

i did my lower rocker panels on my truck, in the same paint in a camo pattern, and it's been on there for about two years now, many trips up and down the road and through the woods and countless trips to the car wash and it's still holding great with not flaking, peeling or problems. still looks great.

hareebrownbeest 10-15-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks man, and Phuc those pricks on the "assh@les at gun stores" thread. I can understand you perfectly fine. That dic that was harassing you had 3-4 errors on his grammar and I told him to stop being a hypocrite about it. :)

hareebrownbeest 10-15-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 64441

Should I camo my rocker panels??? Naw ;)