Firearm Painting - Unanswered Questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Firearm Painting - Unanswered Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I used this on 2 of my rifles. No problems with chipping, peeling or chemicals. No air brush to worry about either.
DuraCoat Shake 'N Spray
I've also had great results with this:
Shotgun & Rifle Mossy Oak® Camo Gun Kit
If you want a great camo job that's not hard to do use this. Just follow the instructions on their web site.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
If you decide to go with paint, do yourself a favor: spray a piece of scrap wood, let it dry fully & then hit it with every cleaner and oil you are likely to use on the actual gun. My favorite CLP ate right through the paint job I did on a synthetic stock.

That is a good suggestion.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I used this on 2 of my rifles. No problems with chipping, peeling or chemicals. No air brush to worry about either.
DuraCoat Shake 'N Spray
I've also had great results with this:
Shotgun & Rifle Mossy Oak® Camo Gun Kit
If you want a great camo job that's not hard to do use this. Just follow the instructions on their web site.

On the Shake 'N Spray stuff, how did that work? I assume if you are using 3-4 different colors you need to mix the stuff up all at once after putting on your base coat. How long does the stuff last mixed in the aersol? Once you are ready to spray a few colors do you have like a 30 minute frenzy to get it done before the mixed paint in the aersol hardens? Do you have a walkthrough or can you give me a summary of how you did it how long it took?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #14

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
On the Shake 'N Spray stuff, how did that work? I assume if you are using 3-4 different colors you need to mix the stuff up all at once after putting on your base coat. How long does the stuff last mixed in the aersol? Once you are ready to spray a few colors do you have like a 30 minute frenzy to get it done before the mixed paint in the aersol hardens? Do you have a walkthrough or can you give me a summary of how you did it how long it took?
It lasts after mixing about 2 weeks or so. There's no huge rush to get it sprayed for fear of it hardening up on you. I only used one color so I can't answer that one.
The process is pretty basic. Degrease using the stuff supplied in the kit, mask off anything you don't want to paint. Mix the paint as instructed, attach the propellant can and spray just like a rattle can. Start to finish it took about 2 1/2 hours but as I said, I was using one color. I'd imagine you'd need to spray your base color, let it dry then spray your other colors letting each dry.
This is the Duracoat web site. you may find more info here:
DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper