Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Finish for a new rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/finish-new-rifle-20805/)

cpttango30 12-06-2009 09:53 PM

Finish for a new rifle.

Ok I just went and got me a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 280 Rem. Now I want to paint it in a nice camo job so it blends in better here in VA.

I was thinking of scuffing the metal and the stock with a scotchbrite pad and just going with the Krylon Camo Kit from Wal-Mart.

I really don't like the looks of Duracoat. But I may do that. Painting it in a digital pattern might look really cool.

Oh yah I got me a Leupold 3.5-14x50 VX-7 30mm. So I figured I would mask off the important parts on the scope and go at it all with a scotchbrite pad and just wing the paint job.

What do you guys think.

mrm14 12-06-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 195231)
Ok I just went and got me a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 280 Rem. Now I want to paint it in a nice camo job so it blends in better here in VA.

I was thinking of scuffing the metal and the stock with a scotchbrite pad and just going with the Krylon Camo Kit from Wal-Mart.

I really don't like the looks of Duracoat. But I may do that. Painting it in a digital pattern might look really cool.

Oh yah I got me a Leupold 3.5-14x50 VX-7 30mm. So I figured I would mask off the important parts on the scope and go at it all with a scotchbrite pad and just wing the paint job.

What do you guys think.

Well cp, alot of the guys where I shoot do exactly what your going to do and just wing the paint job. If their rifle is parkerized they just paint their cammo pattern right on it with no prep except for a good cleaning of metal surfaces their painting. If the finish they put on their rifles gets scratched up over time or they just get board and want a change they scuff the rifle up and re- paint whatever they want. I think it's a good idea and i've seen it work out great.

quelebu 12-07-2009 04:33 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: Doing that to a brand new rifle and scope!!! and an x-bolt/Leupold combination too!...excuse me while I weep.

cpttango30 12-07-2009 05:16 PM

it is just a tool nothing more to me really....

jeepcreep927 12-09-2009 03:42 AM

I tried paint on one of my AR's with a stainless barrel and it wouldn't stick at all. It peeled of in big flakes. I only used a scotch brite to scratch the surface a bit though. Maybe some 220 paper would have given the paint a better bite?

I have used Duracoat a bunch and it is super easy. I put it down with an airbrush. They have about a billion colors (ok not a billion, but like 200) from Barney Purple which is more JD's style, to ultra matte camo colors. It's really easy if you just pay attention to the mix ratio. I have never had any problems getting it to cure since the mix ratio is pretty easy, but a little more or a little less effects how shiny it comes out.

The only suggestion I would have for the Duracoat is to get yourself a big gallon jug of acetone for the clean up. That stuff dries in your airbrush and you might as well throw it away.

Good luck.

canebrake 12-09-2009 03:49 AM

It's all in the prep.

But personally I think you're shining us!

Jpyle 12-09-2009 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 195231)

What do you guys think.

Get some of that spray adhesive stuff and coat the whole stock and barrel then toss the whole rig in a pile of leaves and dirt. Rub it all in so it takes on the natural pattern and you're good to go.

CA357 12-09-2009 03:58 AM

I would suggest a lengthy preparation with a Dremel tool set to the highest speed using an unobtanium #12 wheel. Then gradually work your way down to a #000000 Crapstone mush wheel.

joken 12-31-2009 07:42 PM

Duracoat

I don't know what flavor of DC you were looking at and didn't like. I can make DC look like any paint you can buy. DC was formulated specifically for firearms and works great. I have three barreled actions done in matte and a few more stocks in various flavors. It's fun and inexpensive. What's not to like about that. Here's a couple of links you may find interesting. This guy makes affordable stencils.
Bulldogarms.com, Making Camo Cool!
Lauer Weaponry Online Order Center
The airbrush art is outta my tax bracket. Ken

Glasshartt 01-01-2010 05:41 AM

Hey Tango,

How about pink with pixie dust sparkles? :p :D :eek: