Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > filling in engraving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default filling in engraving

I have an 1100 with the factory engraving/scrolling and I want to fill it it so the receiver is flat. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks for the help
Darin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #2

you can roll mark it with black if you just want to hide it. With the crayon style stick they use to fill in the lettering on Glocks

Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

Sorry about that. I missed the introductions section.

As far as the engraving, I want to fill it in permanently and paint over it. I was thinking about heating the receiver and melting just regular old soldier into the scrolling and sanding smooth. I am a little afraid that the heat (even low enough to melt electrical soldier) might warp or otherwise damage the receiver.

I thought of bondo, but that might crack under recoil and Dura-coat told me Dura-fil can't be built up that thick.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have filled hundreds (YES 100's) of guns and the best that I ever found is MCU (Moisture Cured Urethane) mixed with some gold (or what ever color you want) powder. It takes some time to get it right but will look better and last longer than gold paint or anything else you can purchase. It will resist moisture and most of all OIL which will take just about anything out over a period of time. Once applied the excess can be removed with naphtha (make SURE you got ventilation around you. It will take a little practice to get it right but you'll get the hang of it. And remember " NOTHING LASTS FOREVER" but this will last longer and hold up better than anything you can buy---FOR SURE !!!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Epoxy. I use acraglas bedding epoxy and then Duracoat.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7586 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

First, the material is SOLDER. On the other hand, several of us are regular old soldiers.

You may have problems getting solder to stick to steel. And once you do it, you have this shiny silver colored streak of lead/tin alloy. That will not blue, ya know. Overheating the steel would not be good.

Assuming you want to hide the engraving, degrease, and use a filler, such as the urethane mentioned, or an epoxy (glass bedding compound, JB, etc) and it will look like hell. Then you can duracoat to hide it.

None of my business- idle curiosity- WHY?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I'll jump in to this old thread. If you have not completed this project yet, DC, I would sand blast the receiver, then fill with JB Weld and sand smooth. Then paint with Aluma Hyde 2 or Duracoat.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

First off I owe you an apology. I didn't really get out of your post that you wanted to "FILL IN the ENGRAVING" completly. Thought you wanted to accent it. The best thing you couls do is file it all off and have it reblued. We use to file off some engraving on occasion and then re-engrave them. If you want it slick just file it all off and then you won't have to worry about filling it with anything !!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, the material is SOLDER. On the other hand, several of us are regular old soldiers.

You may have problems getting solder to stick to steel. And once you do it, you have this shiny silver colored streak of lead/tin alloy. That will not blue, ya know. Overheating the steel would not be good.

Assuming you want to hide the engraving, degrease, and use a filler, such as the urethane mentioned, or an epoxy (glass bedding compound, JB, etc) and it will look like hell. Then you can duracoat to hide it.

None of my business- idle curiosity- WHY?
Yeah I misspelled it, but that was a year ago and I'm much smarter now

I originally was going to turn it into a HD gun and just thought a black shotgun with fancy scrolling didn't go with what I wanted. The gun itself had sat in a closet for the better part of a decade and was deeply pitted, so I wasn't too concerned about changing that appearance of the gun.

Using bedding is a great idea along with JB weld. I never thought of either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I'll jump in to this old thread. If you have not completed this project yet, DC, I would sand blast the receiver, then fill with JB Weld and sand smooth. Then paint with Aluma Hyde 2 or Duracoat.
Funny, I had never thought of using JB weld. Now that I read that I have to do a face palm and think "well duh, why didn't I think of that?" But since I posted this, I ran out of money and was forced to just refinish it as a field gun. Much cheaper than buying a barrel and new furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
First off I owe you an apology. I didn't really get out of your post that you wanted to "FILL IN the ENGRAVING" completly. Thought you wanted to accent it. The best thing you couls do is file it all off and have it reblued. We use to file off some engraving on occasion and then re-engrave them. If you want it slick just file it all off and then you won't have to worry about filling it with anything !!
No need to apologize at all. Do you know how many times I read a post and still misread it...lol.

Your original post was actually great, not necessarily for this gun, but there are some I would like to do some gold inlay on.

Thanks for all the great advice. Now I know what to do "next time."
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me