Filing rollmarks? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Filing rollmarks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Ya I paid $80 for my jig but I thought it was worth it
Is that for the Anderson 80%?

The reason I ask is that I have wondered if I could somehow build a library of sorts that consists of jigs so that a guy could get an 80% lower and for say, $10, "check out" the jig for that manufacturer (They are proprietary) , finish his lower and send the jig back to the "library". They could finish as many 80% lowers as they are able to in the check-out time (say maximum 30 days) before they have to pay another $10 or have it back to me.

Of course the ATF would try and figure out a way to make that illegal, but its worth considering. Heck, if I had the money to bankroll it I would consider setting it up myself and trying it out. There has to be a million jigs out there that have been used and are sitting on a shelf now. I could work out a deal where a guy could donate a jig he owns and is done using it in exchange for the right to check it out at any time for free in the future. That would build up a variety of jigs, and even allow me to have multiple jigs on hand for one manufacturer of 80% lowers.

Alternatively, as the jigs are checked out and the $10 starts coming in, the donors would get paid 50% of the income until their initial purchase outlay was satisfied. After that they could get 10% for as long as their jig lasts (they are bound to wear out or get damaged over time) or they could choose the first right of use in the future at no cost...

What do you all think? Would you consider sending me your jig or working something out so that I could start this "library"?

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-19-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

right now jig is getting used a lot I have 2 ordered that are coming from a place ordered from before I also have read that the Anderson is like mil spec and should work with most jigs out there but obviously till you try it won't know. I saw the Anderson today for $40.58 or something like that but if I didn't just ordered two of them 3 days ago I would have ordered a couple of Anderson's 80% lowers today .
And as far as sending it to you right now I have a list of friends that want to borrow it. also it is crazy how that happens lol.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #23

Plus as you say about wear yeah I've already damaged mine but the replacement plate is like $12 so its not a big deal but ya loaning it out there is bound to be mistakes
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #24

I'm just tossing the idea around really. I would like to make 80% lowers more affordable for people to complete (and maybe make a buck at the same time!).

Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you plan to go fwd with your jig rental idea, be sure you own the jigs w/ the steel bushings for the hammer/trigger/selector. Aimsmall jig and cncguns would probably be the only jigs i would be interested in renting. Too pricey to own for a handful of lowers but i think they're the best on the market.

aimsmall:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=836906

cncguns:
http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you plan to go fwd with your jig rental idea, be sure you own the jigs w/ the steel bushings for the hammer/trigger/selector. Aimsmall jig and cncguns would probably be the only jigs i would be interested in renting. Too pricey to own for a handful of lowers but i think they're the best on the market.

aimsmall:
Filing rollmarks? - Engraving & Refinishing

cncguns:
Filing rollmarks? - Engraving & Refinishing
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchi View Post

aimsmall:

cncguns:
Almost every jig i have researched have those steal bushing in them also mine does and its not either one of the two that you mentioned f.y.i

Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #28

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I'm just tossing the idea around really. I would like to make 80% lowers more affordable for people to complete (and maybe make a buck at the same time!).
Just curious, but does your plan include collecting an up-front security deposit along with the rental fee on your hypothetical jigs? If not, are you prepared to write off the loss when it doesn't come back?

It's a noble idea, but there are scammers everywhere these days.
Just sayin.....

Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Just curious, but does your plan include collecting an up-front security deposit along with the rental fee on your hypothetical jigs? If not, are you prepared to write off the loss when it doesn't come back?

It's a noble idea, but there are scammers everywhere these days.
Just sayin.....
Yes, I thought of that. I would have to either take a security deposit or credit card info at the front end to pay for it if it goes missing. There is also public shaming the douchebags who stiff me.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I Thought the Stag Logo looks cool! you should see the commercial(not the one with Jesse running in the 3-Gun match,...The CGI'ed one with the Bull Elk....)
I like the Rock River Logo on mine,......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...