Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Fading finish on a wooden stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Fading finish on a wooden stock

I have an old Remington 700 that I inherited and I've been cleaning it up. I noticed that on the wooden stock, there are several sports where the clear coat/varnish is faded. I'm assuming it is just normal wear from use of use then decades of non-use.

What is the best way to restore these faded spots to make a consistent clear coat finish on the stock?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I have an old Remington 700 that I inherited and I've been cleaning it up. I noticed that on the wooden stock, there are several sports where the clear coat/varnish is faded. I'm assuming it is just normal wear from use of use then decades of non-use.

What is the best way to restore these faded spots to make a consistent clear coat finish on the stock?
i am not sure that it could be blended in on the varnish or clear coat. but maybe so, by doing a very ligh sanding and then reclearing it with a good wood products clear varnish or polyurethane.

personally anytime i have run across that problem, i usually stripped the clear off and restained and then did an oil finish for a top coat.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

STOP!!!!! before u do anything to the stock what are u wanting out of it ( sell , use or a look pretty ) cus you could be on a path to devalue the weapon .... If your looking to sell it then dont touch the stock at all a good used patina is worth its weight in gold to collectors ( let them do it if so seen fit ) .... For personal use its 50/50 but your looking at alot of work to do it RIGHT! .... If a look pretty / wall hanger is what your after then tinker away but keep in mind that some solvents will eat your weapon and your stock while others fail to work at all

Old 10-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw206 View Post
STOP!!!!! before u do anything to the stock what are u wanting out of it ( sell , use or a look pretty ) cus you could be on a path to devalue the weapon .... If your looking to sell it then dont touch the stock at all a good used patina is worth its weight in gold to collectors ( let them do it if so seen fit ) .... For personal use its 50/50 but your looking at alot of work to do it RIGHT! .... If a look pretty / wall hanger is what your after then tinker away but keep in mind that some solvents will eat your weapon and your stock while others fail to work at all
unless it's some special limited edition rifle, it's highly unlikely he's going to devalue the rifle. they only made over 5 million of them since 1962.
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

unless it's some special limited edition rifle, it's highly unlikely he's going to devalue the rifle. they only made over 5 million of them since 1962.
All i was saying is he might want to resurch what he is doing before he does it for the fact being that there are alot of irreversible misstakes that take place at home and more directed at your quote i dont care if they made 5m 10m or 100m of them sence yesterday they are not in question this one is and not ALL value is in dollars and cents and further more i wasnt even talking to nor about you in the first place

Old 10-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6028 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 11517

Calm down. This is a forum, it's everyone's conversation.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
it's okay MrMcCool. everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Not excited i understand where im at just dont like someone trying to defend sending someone down a potentially harmful road

Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw206 View Post
Not excited i understand where im at just dont like someone trying to defend sending someone down a potentially harmful road
well i have been owning, shooting and fixing up old guns for a few years now and have picked up older M700's for less than $200 many, many times at gun shows and pawn shops.

so unless it's collectors item or a special run limited edition, it's highly unlikely he's going to devalue the rifle by refinishing the stock. might even increase it's value.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

well i have been owning, shooting and fixing up old guns for a few years now and have picked up older M700's for less than $200 many, many times at gun shows and pawn shops.

so unless it's collectors item or a special run limited edition, it's highly unlikely he's going to devalue the rifle by refinishing the stock. might even increase it's value.
I have as well and its only up to the buyer and what he or she is willing to pay none the less i say again (not all value is a matter of dollars and cents ) he was inherited this weapon and is now trying to restore it ( for what purpose is unknown ) but if a personal standpoint is in the scope of his workings then why all but eliminate a good memory .... And if the case of a resale is his goal ( without the stock being compleatly delapatated ) i personaly have never seen a refinishing project increase the dollar value of any weapon