Engraving Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Engraving Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Engraving Question

Would it be legal to have an Ak's parts engraved with the serial number to match the "on record" Century serial number? My bolt, upper cover and the Century receiver serial numbers are all different. I'd just like it to all match. I'm not sure of any other numbers in it. I just bought it a few days ago.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8886 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

There is only one part that the law applies to for serial numbers- the reciever. By law, the receiver IS the gun. Many milsurp rifles have a "forced match" of SN on bolt and reciever- the number on the bolt removed, and a new one put on with an electric engraver. The purpose is to keep a headspaced bolt together with the correct rifle.

Do NOT change, obliterate, fiddle with, remove or modify the serial number on the reciever. To do so is a major, big, hairy Federal felony. Have been to Leavenworth- weather sucks, food is worse.

On any other part- help yerself.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.