Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Engraving pattern question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Engraving pattern question?

Good Morning All
I am new to discussions in this forum and I don’t usually reply to a lot of posts because I don’t feel I can offer any better information than others here that have a lot more experience than I do. I will if I find one that I feel knowledgeable in and can help someone. I do very much appreciate the shared information that others are taking the time to give. I have had a FFL for 26 years; I am a very good machinist and enjoy building custom bench rifles and other types of custom creations not necessarily conventional. I have always appreciated the look of engraving on firearms and have wanted to learn engraving for a long time. I have read some books, bought some hand tools and purchased a GraverMeister and tooling.
Finally for my engraving question: First I would like to say I mean no disrespect to the engraving masters out there that have put in 20 to 30 years learning this craft, I just don’t feel I have the time to learn both the artistry and technique. Is there any type of a transfer system or technique that will allow me to create my designs or patterns from clip art or other mediums on my computer and apply them to the work surface to follow?
Thanks
Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First.. Welcome to FTF.. If you've not already done so, you should go to the new comers thread and introduce youself ..

Aside from that the short answer is: Yes, there are transfer options open to engraving. Although I do not engrave myself, I have seen it being used. pretty much the same process a tatoo artist uses ...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #3

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

GRS offers engraving pattern stamps.
"The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek offers dated info on engraving transfers. With a little knowledge of computers, it could be adapted.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

Thanks !!
I have that book, I will try to find that section. I also have found some very thin 0.004" clear adhesive back, printable material that might work.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #5

check out inkscape you can importpictures or your own drawings you can enlarge shrink reverse your image then transfer it to the piece you want te engrave the are plenty of ways to transfer your image . do a search on the engraving fourm or the engravers cafe thes people has lots of different way of transfering

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

There is a method that works in most cases, and is very easy and cheap (if you already have a laser printer). You print whatever design you want on your laser printer ( it has to be a laser printer because it melts the toner on the paper, instead of dropping it on) then just tape the design to your workpiece and iron (on the highest setting without steam) it on! When you remove it it should be on your work!