Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Engraver recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Engraver recommendations

I was what everyone's opinion was on what is a good engraver to start with. I understand they are not cheap but don't want to start by buying the best. Just looking for best value.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

What are you engraving?
Machine engraving, or hand engraving?
Decorative or lettering?
Are you looking for someone to do engraving for you?
Are you looking for an engraving machine or system?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8415 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Once in a blue moon, Mr. Ken Hurst drops by. Have had the pleasure of being in his shop a number of years ago, and watching the engravers work.

What they used were very good vises that could rotate in any axis and lock there, scribers, very small chisels, and very small hammers. They carved in steel.

The one machine I have seen that came even close to their work has been around a long time, sells for about $2,400, and is the Gravermeister. I'm certain there are others, but all rely on the skill of the engraver, not magic in the machine.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

What I'm asking about is the hand held engravers. Some are air powered others are electric. I'm just looking for a decent affordable unit to start practicing with. A good engraver still will have a hard time using substandard tools. I wouldn't engrave a firearm till I am able to do good work on practice material first and I'm not looking for a computer operated machine to do the work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

I see. I would suggest the NGraver machine. It runs off a flexible shaft machine. It is quite capable of doing excellent work, and is the least expensive machine.