effects of manganese phosphate on nickel boron finish? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > effects of manganese phosphate on nickel boron finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

I was considering something like that!

I guess in fairness, Bill was probably referring to doing something by hand in particular.

Although, at this point, the slide is already being plated, so I won't be engraving that.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Well, when I say "cut it engraving" I really meant - way better than doing it by hand, but probably not going to make you happy either.

haha

Engraving is a very specific skill set - it would be like picking up an automotive HVLP spray gun and doing a full hot rod candy coat paint job because you figure the handful of times you spray painted model cars should have given you enough practice to be good at it.

Its like one of those funny picture graphs like this:

Last edited by DuraCoater; 04-17-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

That's a fair statement, lol. I at least like to try doing things on my own first, though. There's something about having a firearm that you've worked on yourself as opposed to something you've paid someone else for. I guess I will stay away from engraving for a while, but it's something I might want to get into at some point.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

No argument from me on DIY and learning - I've had to redo finishes on my own various stuff with DuraCoat finding the perfect mixing formulas based on stupid stuff like humidity, or how DuraCoat reacts on various types of materials. Even one type of plastic may be more of a PITA than another plastic.

Good example is Magpul stuff, their polymer is awesome with DuraCoat, texture, absorbs and retains well. Then you take something like a cheap $10 butt stock that is more like ABS plastic, very smooth, bad starting surface for the finish to grip to. Cheap crap takes way more prep time.

If you are intent on wanting to engrave on firearms, you gotta start out smaller.

Practice on spare pieces of metal from a local hardware store, then progress to something like zippos, then maybe something bigger like a tool box.

Etc. Etc.

Edit: Or even better, seek out junked gun slides and stuff. I've heard gunshows have vendors who sell old firearms frames/slides/parts for super cheap so people can practice gunsmithing on them.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #15

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts

If you are interested in learning hand engraving, let me know here. I can point you in the right direction.
Step one: learn to draw what you would like to engrave.