Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Duracoating help please. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/duracoating-help-please-71874/)

RustyShackleford101 09-05-2012 07:59 PM

Duracoating help please.

Ve never duracoated anything but I'm wanting to start doing guns. I'm just looking for some experienced people to inform me on the do's and don'ts. For example, would it be okay to go over say a mag release or would it wreck it. Also some good YouTube links would be appreciated. Thanks.

danf_fl 09-05-2012 10:10 PM

Follow directions on the can.
When using the oven in the kitchen, provide the better half a weekend trip.
Have proper ventilation.
Prep work is important.
Do a test piece that you don't mind getting fingerprints on when tempted to touch "see if it is dry".
Several lights coats are better than one heavy coat.

rjd3282 09-05-2012 10:18 PM

Are you doing it with a spray can or an airbrush. If you are mixing your own store your extra hardner in the fridge it will keep longer. Buy a gallon can of acetone and dip your parts to degrease. If you are going to use the stainless steel color, prime the bare metal with the white color first. I completely disassemble the gun and have not had problems with mag release buttons.

Tenderribbs 09-05-2012 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My best advice is to clean .clean and then clean a little more . No joke anywhere you miss stands out like well you know. A sore thumb. Good luck take your time sue thin costs and you will be dine this was my first ODGreen on my colt22

Attachment 56903

RustyShackleford101 09-05-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282
Are you doing it with a spray can or an airbrush. If you are mixing your own store your extra hardner in the fridge it will keep longer. Buy a gallon can of acetone and dip your parts to degrease. If you are going to use the stainless steel color, prime the bare metal with the white color first. I completely disassemble the gun and have not had problems with mag release buttons.

I'm gonna use an airbrush and a compressor. How long does it take to dry?

RustyShackleford101 09-05-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs
My best advice is to clean .clean and then clean a little more . No joke anywhere you miss stands out like well you know. A sore thumb. Good luck take your time sue thin costs and you will be dine this was my first ODGreen on my colt22

That is one sexy gun!

mountainman13 09-05-2012 10:59 PM

I believe your supposed to let it dry for Atleast a week

RustyShackleford101 09-05-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I believe your supposed to let it dry for Atleast a week

Okay thanks.

mountainman13 09-05-2012 11:02 PM

It'll come with a complete set of instructions. You'll be fine. Just make sure you use thin coats as they said.

rjd3282 09-05-2012 11:08 PM

I usually let things set for a week also. You can touch it after a day but it won't stand up to re-assembly. The more patience you have the better it will turn out.