Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Duracoat or similar finish on an Inox Beretta? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/duracoat-similar-finish-inox-beretta-47788/)

sputnik1988 09-05-2011 12:58 AM

Duracoat or similar finish on an Inox Beretta?

Hi, im not too familiar with refinshing, so my question is, can an inox or stainless gun be coated? Or possibly parkerized? And is it advisable to coat the internals? Excluding moving parts of course.

BillDeShivs 09-05-2011 02:17 AM

Yes, but why? The stainless gun doesn't need a finish.

kafriedel 09-05-2011 02:40 AM

If your looking to duracoat any parts or guns contact me at guardedarms.com or i can try and help you on here but im new to this forum.

sputnik1988 09-05-2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDeShivs (Post 574839)
Yes, but why? The stainless gun doesn't need a finish.

Not much on stainless, I'm more a black and wood kinda guy. (there are a few exceptions though.)

I've always wanted said black pistol to add wood grips to, but somehow I always end up with something other than black.

TheOldMan 09-06-2011 12:33 PM

There is nothing wrong with DuraCoat over a stainless firearm. Only thing to remember is that DuraCoat does best on a roughned finish (better adherence). I would NOT coat the internals. Although Duracoat goes on faily thin, you still may run into clearence issues internally.

Just my .02

And btw, I'm also a black and wood type of guy.. Very few stainless pieces in my collection..

winds-of-change 09-06-2011 12:49 PM

Heck, I prefer the stainless. It's beauty right there. But, whatever.........

TheOldMan 09-06-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 575590)
Heck, I prefer the stainless. It's beauty right there. But, whatever.........

Guess it goes along with my general disliking for synthetic stocks. I just prefer the look of a nice wood finish and deep high polish blue...

sputnik1988 09-06-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 575611)
Guess it goes along with my general disliking for synthetic stocks. I just prefer the look of a nice wood finish and deep high polish blue...

Right there with you on that one.

ManInBlack83 10-06-2011 05:39 PM

A finish of some sort can be applied to an Inox slide. I have a Beretta that came from the factory with a blackened stainless slide. These models are referred to as "Cajun" for obvious reasons.:D

762 10-06-2011 05:44 PM

i have duracoated internals on guns before. works fine. i duracoated the bolt on my SKS years ago and it's still looks like it did the day i did it. no chiping, no cracking, nothing. i also did the bolt on my mossberg 500, again, no problems at all.

you just have to understand that painting anything is all about prep. with a gun, you need to degrease every single square inch of every part that is being painted. then rough it up and clean it again. good luck