Damaged finish on 870 Express
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Damaged finish on 870 Express

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Damaged finish on 870 Express

Went on a wet late season deer drive last season and left my 870 in the trunk for just a few hours and the receiver and barrel began to rust. I got the rust off but the finish is spotted now. I was disappointed when i realized it was not a parkerized finish once i researched the 870 but its a great gun so i want to get it repaired with a durable black finish. I prefer to do it myself and need to know a good route to take. A few questions i have follow:

1) How do i strip the factory 870 Express finish?

2) I prefer to have a true parkerized finish-is blasting necessary?

3) Does the barrel/receiver have to be internally sealed if a submersible method is used?

Thanks for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #2

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
ccr

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

SEHunter
I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. If the gun is going to be in any type of wet surrounding I agree you must have it Mil Spec Parkerized prior to refinishing.

We start by totally disassembling the gun, degrease every part then we remove the original finish with a series of AO blasting then we Mil Spec Parkerize all carbon steel parts which will give you an additional layer of rust protection they we apply our Cera-Hide finish for even more protection

Cummings Custom Refinishing Quality Affordable Firearms Refinishing 423-639-8924
3351 Asheville Hwy Greeneville Tn 37743
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #4

CCR, thank you. I wish blasting was not necessary but i know it is. How do you approach the inside of the receiver and the inside of the barrel? Do these parts need to be protected from the parkerizing solutions?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

SE... You will not have to go to all that trouble to restore the finish on your 870 Express.. Since you have no pitting, simply rough up the finish a little with a scotch brite pad then you can spray over with DuraCoat. Matte black will restore your finish and last forever. Although parkerizing is a good "added" step, in your case, it's not needed. The Express shotgun already has a rough surface finish that provides your base for the DuraCoat. You can accomplish this on your own for less than $50.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #6

Thanks OldMan. I just wish i read your post before i had the gun blasted. I just had a local powder coating shop blast it for me and have it wrapped in a towel in my safe for the time being. I researched Duracoat after i read your post and realized thats what i would have done. Sounds like a good diy product.

I still may use Duracoat as the final finish but i think i will be better off to parkerize it first since its clean metal now. I told him not to blast the inside of the receiver. Being the gun will be submerged in the parkerizing chemical, will the inside of the receiver be ok or is there somthing i need to do to protect it? From what i have heard, the inside does not need to be parkerized so that the bolt and slides will function smoothly. Whats proper procedure?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Thanks OldMan. I just wish i read your post before i had the gun blasted. I just had a local powder coating shop blast it for me and have it wrapped in a towel in my safe for the time being. I researched Duracoat after i read your post and realized thats what i would have done. Sounds like a good diy product.

I still may use Duracoat as the final finish but i think i will be better off to parkerize it first since its clean metal now. I told him not to blast the inside of the receiver. Being the gun will be submerged in the parkerizing chemical, will the inside of the receiver be ok or is there somthing i need to do to protect it? From what i have heard, the inside does not need to be parkerized so that the bolt and slides will function smoothly. Whats proper procedure?
If the fella used aluminum oxide to blast with, you should not need to park first before DuraCoating, HOWEVER, parkerizing does guarentee an optimum surface for the DuraCoat to adhere. The tolerences of the 870 reciever are such that you will not have to worry about the parkerizing inside. Just mask off the interior when you go to paint it and all should be fine..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"