Customizing an Interarms Firestar M-40 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Customizing an Interarms Firestar M-40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 126 Times on 78 Posts

I do admire that you are asking questions instead of diving headlong into this project and probably ruining your guns value, at least.
And I know that most of what I'm telling you is not what you want to hear. Unfortunately, it's the truth.
And "degrease, blast, paint, and bake" is a gross oversimplification of the process of properly applying the gun paints.
It's like saying "sand your car and spray paint on it." It doesn't work that simply. Of the gun paints, Ceracoat seems to be the best.
I don't recommend the local bumper plating shop, either. You need someone who specializes in guns, even to plate small parts.
And, most places that professionally apply gun paints will charge as much as a gun plater or even the Ion Bond stuff.
Frustrating, isn't it?

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 02-22-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #22

It's pretty frustrating, but I don't give up

I appreciate your advice whether it's what I want to hear or not. Mag Tactical Systems is a firearms manufacturer that offered to do the nickel plating. But I figured I'd compare prices between you and them. Their AR 15 lowers have nickel in them and they're supposed to be the lightest and most durable lowers on the market, but their Duracoat finish flakes off easily. I'll contact the guy you referred and then contact you on your website and see what all I need to invest. It's more of a special thing I want to do because it's my first handgun and I'd like to pass it down to my son as his first handgun. It's no Colt 1911, but it doesn't have to be. Anything I get that is special to me, I usually try to put my mark on it and plan to pass it down to my son. Like my first guitar. I customized it to my liking and to what I think is perfection. It's going straight to my son as soon as he tells me he's interested in learning to play.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #23

Liked 126 Times on 78 Posts

There is nothing wrong with customizing your gun, and the Firestar is a very good (if heavy) gun.
I just didn't want you to screw it up.
You can always tell the guitar player. You just can't tell them anything! ;^)
I'm a bassist, BTW.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #24

True lol

It's usually the vocalist and guitarist that butt heads. It was for me anyway. Cocky vocalists, showboat guitarists, angry bassists and the drummers are always blessed in that certain area, no matter how ugly they are.