Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Customizing an Interarms Firestar M-40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

For some reason it's only allowing me to attach one pic per post.

image.jpg  

Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

Last pic...........

image.jpg  

Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts

OK-the gun is blued. It certainly is not in bad enough shape to refinish. You could touch up the edges with cold blue if it bothers you. I doubt that you have the skill and equipment to properly refinish the gun. Cold bluing an entire gun gives awful results. Parkerizing (and Duracoat) require bead/sand blasting for proper application. Parkerizing is not much more durable than bluing. Duracoat is paint. Both will wear off on sharp edges quickly-just like the bluing has done.
Honestly, I understand wanting to customize your gun. But it doesn't NEED a refinish-which will definitely devalue it. The Star is a good gun, BTW. If you insist on plating the small parts contact me through billdeshivs.com .
Perhaps putting a set of custom grips on the gun would satisfy your customization desire. I'm not sure who makes custom grips for the Star.

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 02-22-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #14

I never said I had the equipment or the skill to refinish a gun. Which is why I came here for help. I guess I should have asked these questions..

1. Is it possible to properly refinish this gun in matte black?
2. Is it possible to find someone to properly plate my small parts in nickel?
3. Is it possible to properly polish the barrel and guide rod?

Whether or not I have the skill level to accomplish this, that's not the question. If I think it's beyond my ability to accomplish, I'll have someone do it professionally.

I don't see how anyone has the ability to learn about things with responses like "you don't have the skill level or equipment to properly do this". Maybe I want to learn how to do this properly and what equipment I need to do it.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #15

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Dura coat matte black. Done.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. + .-- --- .-. -.- + ..-. --- .-. + -... . . .-.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #16

Can't answer about barrel and guide rod. By polish, I assume you mean make shiny? Not sure about how to go abou it. It will rust faster though.

Contact local chrome plate outfit and ask about Nickle plating services. Google is your friend.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #17

Thanks kytowboater. Will do.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #18

There are a few "Shake and bake" finishes available that I'm going to try as well. Dura coat has one, creakote and I think brownells has a version.

Disassemble, degrease very well, sandblast or however you want to prep the metal if you choose, and spray on thin even coats.

Bake in oven at specified instructions and your good to go.

Oh dern....

Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #19

I was thinking about going with Duracoat, but a lot of people have been trashing it and saying it's just paint and you might as well go with the high heat rustoleum paint. That's pretty much why I came here to see what everyone else is doing and what works. I haven't ruled out Duracoat. Just seeing if there's anything better.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #20

Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts

Learning refinishing on a good gun is probably not a good idea. It's best to practice on junk and scrap metal.
Now, without getting into a treatise on how to refinish guns, you could probably get your gun blasted and Ion-Bond coated for under $300. This is about the toughest black finish there is.
Any professional refinish is going to cost almost as much as the gun is worth, so you might as well get the best. Contact Chad Buie at Club Customs 336-596-0045.
I'm not saying you have limited skills, but refinishing requires buffers, belt grinders, sandpaper, rotary tools, a blasting cabinet, air compressor, and cleaning equipment. This is just for the metal prep. Then you have to be set up for Parkerizing or painting.
It's just not cost-effective to refinish guns at home. I know that you see guys telling you how good their cold bluing job came out, but those home jobs can be spotted across the room. Almost any finish you can do at home will be substandard. Rust bluing is the exception-but you don't want bluing. Parkerizing can be done at home if you can do the metal prep, but it is no better than bluing.