Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Customizing an Interarms Firestar M-40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Customizing an Interarms Firestar M-40

I just bought an Interarms Star Firestar M-40 in .40 cal a week ago from a friend. It's in good shape, but I want to polish the trigger, hammer, barrel, guide rod, safety, slide stop, magazine floorplate and the grip screws. The barrel and guide rod look like they're blued, but the rest look like they're parkerized or something. They're kind of a dark gray color. I already know distilled white vinegar will take the blue off. But what about the other small parts?

Also, I plan to strip the blue on the frame and slide and parkerize them. I'm not much of a fan of bluing. I just want a nice matte black finish on them. Would parkerizing achieve this? Or would I just have to duracoat them? And would I have to strip before duracoating? Or maybe just strip, parkerize and then duracoat? I saw someone on youtube saying he swears by parkerizing and then using duracoat for double protection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 48 Posts

The dark grey parts are probably "Starvel," Star's electroless nickel plating. It's much more durable than bluing or Parkerizing, and you can't strip it off with vinegar.
If you polish the parts, they will be bare steel and will rust quickly.

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 02-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

That kind of ruins what I want to do with the gun. Unless Star made some stainless parts for their stainless looking model. But I'd imagine they'd be hard to find like the rest of their stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Star made no stainless guns or parts.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Polishing up a Star is like putting 22" rims on a Neon. It is a serviceable tool and no more. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

I have seen some M-40 models that are in a stainless or what looks to be in a stainless finish. I'll go ahead and call it their "shiny" M-40. I figure if I can get the parts from that version, I can polish the barrel and guide rod, then put a matte black finish on the frame and slide and be done with it. Whether a star is top of the line or not, it's all I have to work with at the moment and it's kind of a personal preference thing. More like something I want to do just to do it. Pass time maybe? Make it look better than what it does. It's not a prize piece but it's mine and I just came here to get help from anyone who has experience.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Customizing guns is great. It's usually done to improve them.
What you want to do is put on an inferior finish.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
Customizing guns is great. It's usually done to improve them.
What you want to do is put on an inferior finish.
Quoted for truth. I'd recommend some more knowledge, experience and firearms in the safe before you go messing up what you have.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #9

Perhaps a picture would help us help you.
I can nickel plate your small parts if you want them shiny.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Quoted for truth. I'd recommend some more knowledge, experience and firearms in the safe before you go messing up what you have.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
I never really thought of refinishing guns as messing them up. The blue is wearing and I want to refinish it to cover the bare metal. It's due for an overhaul and I don't see a problem putting a new finish on it. Unless I'm missing something. Is there anything unsafe about it? You're right though. I'm new to firearms and I need to gain more knowledge and experience. But wouldn't this be a learning experience? I'm asking experts for advice to learn about what I can and can't do. I'm not trying to start a debate or argue a point. You guys are obviously more experienced than I am. Which is the reason I came here.

BillDeShivs,
I was talking to the owner of Mag Tactical Systems and he said that would probably be my only option to nickel plate them. He offers the service but I'm not really sure how busy his plating business is. How much would you charge?

If the images show up multiple times or kind of messed up its because I'm on my iphone and not a computer.