coloring ATI stock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > coloring ATI stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default coloring ATI stock

I have an ATI stock on my Mosin Nagant and was wondering how to go about changing the color to od green. spray pant or is there a specific pant for that kind of plastic?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I would use duracoat or cherakoat it will cost more but they are much more durable than spray paint.You also get much more color options.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I would use duracoat or cherakoat it will cost more but they are much more durable than spray paint.You also get much more color options.
Dead on. I'll suggest duracoat once more though. Easier to work with.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #4

ok sounds good, one to two coats im guessing? and do i need to follow up with a protective layer or will just that do the trick?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Duracoat gets harder over time. It's useable after 24-48 hours but will still cure for weeks after applying. It wont need a top coat.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Duracoat is great stuff, but the website recommends using clear topcoat over certain colors (mostly the metallics). I'm not sure why but I did it anyway. I agree that curing time is critical. I would leave all parts alone for a few weeks. Here's my G20 in Duracoat Gold after clearcoating and curing for 2 weeks. As to the slide, I sent it to Glockstore for Titanium Nitride coating. I wanted something with a little higher Rockwell number on my slide. The mag buttplates are gold aluminum available from Glockstore and they make magazine insertion a sublime experience. I'll post pics when the slide and gold extended magazine release arrive- probably in 2-3 weeks.

gg.jpg  

Last edited by floydrharper; 07-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Of course I meant gold extended slide release.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Painting plastic........

In auto body world(lots of plastic parts),theres an old,old saying.......

"If it's a floater,use a promoter".

It's a reference to adhesion promoter.In practice,you cut a sliver of plastic from part and throw it in a glass of water.If it floats......well,you get the idea.

Yes,I know there's "new" paint technology where the promoter is in the paint.But you may be using a color or type of paint that dosen't have it......look or ask about it at your auto/body pro shop.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would certainly agree with the "promoter" or "primer" comments. However, these 2-part ceramic coatings seem to stick very well without such prep. Their use on the polymer frame wouldn't make sense unless they stick more aggressively than the ceramic coating, and I don't think that they do. My slide is being PVD coated with Titanium Nitride and I don't think that priming is an option there, as I think it must be applied to bare metal.