Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Clear coating over Duracoat? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/clear-coating-over-duracoat-94633/)

Red5Beard 07-29-2013 07:27 PM

Clear coating over Duracoat?

I'm planning on Duracoating a few rifles and was wondering if it would be ok to use automotive clear coat over Duracoat paint? Or will it crack at really high temperatures?
2 ounces of Duracoat clear is $17 and that's too much for my wallet. I can get 32 ounces of automotive clear coat for $20.
This will be my first time Duracoating and I would really appreciate any tips.
Thanks

mountainman13 07-29-2013 07:43 PM

Worry about your prep work first. If you do it right you shouldn't really need any clear coat. You're probably better off sticking with the duracoat, but I've never used the clear myself.

Red5Beard 07-31-2013 04:11 AM

Thanks for the tip mountainman. I'll probably stick with just the Duracoat like you said for my first Duracoat project.

Axxe55 07-31-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red5Beard (Post 1321051)
Thanks for the tip mountainman. I'll probably stick with just the Duracoat like you said for my first Duracoat project.

if your prepwork is done properly and the Duracoat is applied properly and allowed to cure, i don't think you would really need a clearcoat.

mountainman13 07-31-2013 04:14 AM

No problem. Just take your time with the prep work make sure it is totally clean and oil free (wear gloves) and give it the allotted drying time and you should be good.

Red5Beard 07-31-2013 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tip too Axxe.
Will do mountainman. By the way what degreaser would you suggest to use?

Axxe55 07-31-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red5Beard (Post 1321173)
Thanks for the tip too Axxe.
Will do mountainman. By the way what degreaser would you suggest to use?

for metal i like using brake cleaner and alcohol for final wipe down, and for synthetic or plastic parts, Dawn for a scrub down with alcohol for a final wipe down.

NF50AR 08-09-2013 12:12 PM

Like everyone says, prepping the metal is a vital part to Dura coat. I have dura coated a lot of things and letting it cure before you oil or whatever is the key factor. It is very durable and have yet to get a major chip or flaking of any kind.

thdrduck 08-09-2013 12:58 PM

Just a few tips...remember Duracoat is a ceramic not a paint so thinner is better. Also, for the final wipe down use denatured alcohol and a lint free cloth, then if you can, blow it off with oil free air. Wear surgical gloves for the entire process. A fair quality air brush works great for application. Dust is your enemy! Once this stuff cures what you have is what you have so if it gets screwed up during the application, it is best to get if off and start over because you can't fix it after it cures. And dust is your enemy!

bige91603 08-09-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1330709)
Just a few tips...remember Duracoat is a ceramic not a paint so thinner is better. Also, for the final wipe down use denatured alcohol and a lint free cloth, then if you can, blow it off with oil free air. Wear surgical gloves for the entire process. A fair quality air brush works great for application. Dust is your enemy! Once this stuff cures what you have is what you have so if it gets screwed up during the application, it is best to get if off and start over because you can't fix it after it cures. And dust is your enemy!

I always thought that duracoat was an epoxy resin finish, I know ceracoat is a ceramic