Cleaning stock on old gun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cleaning stock on old gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning stock on old gun

I am now 70 yrs old and still have the old single shot 16 GA Springfield shotgun my Dad got me when I was about 8 or 9 yrs old...The gun is in great shape except for the stock..the wood is good but has years of oil, dirt, etc.
I would like to clean the stock up really nice as I plan on giving it to my grandson for Christmas (not the winter holiday).
Any suggestions on what to use to clean the stock before refinishing?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I suggest that you don't refinish it. This is how I would do it and it would keep the patina that makes it beautiful. A newly refinished stock will diminish the years of love and use that it's had. The tone and feel of aged wood can't be duplicated by refinished wood.

Dismount the stock and forearm and clean them with some #0 steel wool and linseed oil. Finish up with #0000 steel wool. Just rub with the grain and go easy. All the dirt should remove quite well. Then, just apply a coat or two of paste wax and buff it to a dull sheen.

Any dings or scratches will fill in a bit and they give it some of its character anyway.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have had good luck with Murphy's oil soap on old furniture. would it work on a gunstock as well? just curious myself.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Murphy's oil soap would probably work just fine. My only concern would be if it might dry out the wood. I know it's not supposed to, but you never know.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks for the info...I agree with you 100% that there is nothing like the feel of aged wood..I had intended to go back with a good oil but I think I like your idea of the paste wax better...Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I suggest that you don't refinish it. This is how I would do it and it would keep the patina that makes it beautiful. A newly refinished stock will diminish the years of love and use that it's had. The tone and feel of aged wood can't be duplicated by refinished wood.

Dismount the stock and forearm and clean them with some #0 steel wool and linseed oil. Finish up with #0000 steel wool. Just rub with the grain and go easy. All the dirt should remove quite well. Then, just apply a coat or two of paste wax and buff it to a dull sheen.

Any dings or scratches will fill in a bit and they give it some of its character anyway.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugbro View Post
Thanks for the info...I agree with you 100% that there is nothing like the feel of aged wood..I had intended to go back with a good oil but I think I like your idea of the paste wax better...Thanks again!
pugbro, i use the Johnson's paste wax and very good results with it on my wooden gunstocks. use it with very fine steel wool and just rub it in and polish with a soft cotton rag. good luck with the shotgun.