Cerakote vs Duracoat for Rem 870 Tact.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote vs Duracoat for Rem 870 Tact.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 8

Default Cerakote vs Duracoat for Rem 870 Tact.

I have been reading up on coatings for firearms. I know that many neat things can be down with coating now a days. My big question is, What is the big difference between Cerakote and Duracoat??? And, which should I use and why? It seems like whatever I read, one site will say Pro Cerakote and Anti Duracoat and then vise versa. I have a Rem 870 that I use for work (law enforcement). I have had it out in all kinds of weather. Rain, Snow, Heat... I have had it against a tree for support and it has bumped into a wall from time to time in narrow houses. I want something that will last in all weathers and wont scratch... Any suggestions and advise?!?!? Thanks!!

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Second star to the right...and straight on 'til morning.
-James Kirk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I'm not an expert on finishing, but I think Duracoat is the best choice of the two. From what I have heard, it is extremely tough and will handle just about anything.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip83
I have been reading up on coatings for firearms. I know that many neat things can be down with coating now a days. My big question is, What is the big difference between Cerakote and Duracoat??? And, which should I use and why? It seems like whatever I read, one site will say Pro Cerakote and Anti Duracoat and then vise versa. I have a Rem 870 that I use for work (law enforcement). I have had it out in all kinds of weather. Rain, Snow, Heat... I have had it against a tree for support and it has bumped into a wall from time to time in narrow houses. I want something that will last in all weathers and wont scratch... Any suggestions and advise?!?!? Thanks!!
I believe duracoat has to sit for like 2 weeks for the coat to cure, cerakote bakes and is done once baking is done. I've seen a torture test of both side by side and both stood up pretty well. Just depends on the price your getting it for and whether your willing to wait 2 weeks. I'm not 100% sure about this info but good luck finding the info you need.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Actually DuraCoat will continue to cure as time passes.

Generally it is dry to the touch in under an hour, should be left alone for 48 hours before reassembly and light use. Two weeks is a good time stamp where you can ramp up more rigid activities with it.

I have nothing against other types of finishes, I simply began using, honing, and prefer DuraCoat (incase my username did not give it away).

Be very wary however of the DuraCoat "urban legends" you will surely encounter that are used to make it appear inferior to other products. I'm sure you have witnessed at least one "1911 or Glock?" thread - well it is pretty much the same thing.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

Sweet, I wasn't far off for not really knowing much about it. You got pictures of your work? Or a website I can check out?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/would-like-share-some-my-work-74019/
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Good looking work, where are you located?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

I am in the Augusta Georgia area.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #9

Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the response folks! DuraCoater, What kind of price am I looking at for a remington 870? Just looking for a basic Black. Dont need anything fancy.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Second star to the right...and straight on 'til morning.
-James Kirk

Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #10

I just do it as a hobby for now, but retail for one long gun ranges from $150.00 to $250.00, maybe a little cheaper if you look hard enough.