Cerakote vs. Duracoat - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote vs. Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh my lord. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Duracoat

I used Duracoat for the frame of my G20 and I couldn't be happier. Of course, it's very important to follow the directions and to let the item cure properly. I accidentally oversprayed onto my Makita drill and let me tell you, those little dots of Duracoat were next to impossible to get off the drill and the drill wasn't clean at all when the Duracoat got onto it.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #33

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Looks like Liberacie's glock .......

Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #34

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
Darin,

If you want to go with a spray on finish, I suggest Brownell's Aluma-Hide II. That's what's on my Eddystone and it's holding up well. It's downright cheap and is available in colors other than the matte black that I used.

If you go that route, buy two cans in case you need a little extra and also to have just in case.

Rebluing sounds good as well and that seems to be about the going rate.

Here's a link to the Aluma Hyde: World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS
I have used the aluma-hide II on my 308 and my AR and am very happy with it. You can use other cheaper paints over the aluma-hide to get the color scheme you are looking for without wear problems that I have noticed.
It's all about the look your going for. My guns are cammoed so a little wear hear and there isn't noticed or worried about...... But you mentioned you may want to blue it.... That would be a significantly different look. Awesome in its own right, just different.
I would not paint a gun just one color and expect it to not show wear with regular use though. If that's what you going for, get that puppy blued.
It's nerve racking to "paint" your gun for the first time, but it is rewarding in the end. Have fun!!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #35

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joken
I bet you have spinner hubcaps.
Lol!!! ..........
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I thought...

everyone did

Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, here's the latest from my Duracoating adventure. I'm very happy with the results, but i must say, I'd be very reluctant to Duracoat or Cerakote a barrel. Folks say Glocks are made loose, but when you add a couple microns of coating to some parts, you'll find out different. I had to sand almost all the Duracoat off my barrel, it simply would not fit nor function. To do the frame is fine, or the parts of the slide that show. But beware when adding thickness to parts that move.